I need help with this Tree Peony

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I need some expert help.... ;-)

I purchased this Tree Peony (hu hong) today. I almost didn't, because of it's appearance, but maybe this is not unusual .... I have never grown one before.

To me it looks like first 4 inches or so coming out of the bag are roots, and then the stem starts.... but are they? I'm unsure as to how to plant this. Same depth as it is with these "roots" above the ground as they are or deeper.

I've seen you guys say that you only want to plant tree peonies a couple of inches deep.

Now did I purchase something that was planted incorrectly by the growers or is this ok???? I hope you understand what I am asking.

Now don't be afraid to tell me I was a "fool" to buy this .... it came from Costco and they will take anything back so if you advise me to do so I'll return it. I sure hope it's ok though, as they don't have any more and it has 4 stems and is budding.

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

It looks okay to me. My tree peony looks like dead twigs this time of year too. Eventually the buds start to swell and soon after the whole thing leafs out.

I'm not sure but I think you might be right about the roots being exposed. From here http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tpcare.htm I found this....

"The crown, where all the stems meet together, should be about 3/4 of an inch below the ground level."

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Poppysue,

I guess I'm keeping it ..... Once I get it out of the bag (another day or so), maybe I will be able to tell if those are roots. Right now I'm leaning twords planting it at the same level it is in the bag.

I thought it was going to warm up enough this week to put it in the ground ...... hopefully I can and then just give it some protection for a while.

Darn it, they didn't have that one at my Costco!!! I think if you plant it with the roots just below the surface it should do fine.
So, what's your total now? I think you have definitely caught peony fever!

skatayama

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Skatayama,

I've got 3 tree peonies ................ two of the "hu hong" and 1 white one ........ the name escapes me at the moment.

And then theres the 14 or 15 regular peonies ................ that are going in around a fenced in veggie/flower garden.

I guess I'm hooked alright.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

My Dh just bought me 3 more sad,very sad, looking tree peony's from walmart today.4.88 each.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.