Any of you using purchased worm castings?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I don't have room for a compost bin (wish I did), but have been buying worm castings (expensive) and applying them to everything in my garden (in containers and in the ground). I'ved noticed this year that everything is just big - huge flowers - just abundant health wherever I look. I've been using castings for about 6 months. I use Dr. Earth products along with Marilyn's Own soil conditioner - but the worm castings seem to be making a big difference. Any other converts out there?

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

I add them to the hole of every new plant, and have sprinkled some around my flower beds. I noticed an abundance of earthworms immediately, and wonder if the use of the castings has something to do with the new poulation.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

More than likely there were eggs in the castings You can raise worms under your kitchen sink and feed them your garbage

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Hiya,
Worm gold keeps whitefly away too!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Have to add that worm gold works well for keeping the WF away once it has been on the ground for at least 3 months. It has to work its way into the plant, I guess!

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I purchased a "can of worms" a few years ago from worm's way.It is the size of a garbage can and works very well.You put in red worms and some of your vegetable clippings.You don't get very big quantities of castings but what you get is great and it is alot of fun to see how it works.I think the can of worms comes from New Zealand

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You can buy worm castings in tea bags, ready to use for compost tea. See the thread here: http://davesgarden.com/t/423329/

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Is there an advantage of worm tea over worm castings? Just wondering.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cattknap, I'd think smell, for one difference, plus ease of use.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

To me worm castings are very easy to use just put a scoop in with a new plant or dig in - there there zero smell. Making tea to me seems more time consuming and smelly and I wonder if the tea would break down faster in the ground than the dry castings - just wondering.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I use worm tea as often as I can and have never noticed any odor. Tea or castings are great for your plants!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.