Gold Flame Honeysuckle

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

How fast and how big does it grow? I wonder how big a trellis I will need . I will be keeping it in a 15 gal nursery container.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have Goldflame planted in the ground at the south edge of my deck. It grows quite large and rapidly. Had to cut it down to 18" a year ago to repaint. It grew in one season to the top of deck supports. I do like it and it is in bloom for a long time. The birds like it, I have a bird feeder very close and the birds like to sit on the vines waiting their turn at the feed. also this past winter several quail roosted in the vines. Actually I think I will prune it severely every other year or so, just to keep control. I think you would need a fairly sturdy trellis. Mine is growing up in a 2' width vinyl lattice fastened to a 4 x 4. Hope the above is some help to youl. Donna

Is that a 2 by 8 ? I was thinking a 42in by 42in on extendtion pole, so maybe bigger huh? It's this size. That container is 15gal.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Also got any pictures?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry, don't think I have any pictures of the honeysuckle. What mine is growing up on is the trellis fastened to the 4 x 4 that is a support for the overhead 2 x 6s. Your 15 gal. should be large enough for good growth. Goldflame is very pretty and long lasting blooms.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

hhmm Im wondering if I should pull mine out of the ground and put it in a pot. I planted it in the fall and plan to have it grow across some trellis to reach a 4x4 and up that to a 2x6 arbor, after that its got a 6 foot privacy fence it can cover.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.