Louisiana Iris

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

I planted some Louisiana Iris that I got in last week. I planted them where they get good moisture, but they are looking a bit yellow. The weather has been shifting a whole lot around here, could this be transplant shock? I'm hoping I didn't kill them when I put them in the ground. New to Japanese iris, but couldn't resist them. I have 9 more varieties coming in, what do you recommend?

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I'm new to LA Iris, too. But I'm falling in love.

Are they getting good sun? They like a lot of sun.

The most common problem that I know of is planting them too deep. The top of the rhizome should be above the soil line, lightly covered with mulch to prevent sun-scald.

Of course, mine are heavily covered with mulch - the leaves that fell on them during the winter. I should prolly do something about that, now that I think of it.

Good Luck!

Cheri'

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi spacecowgirl,

It could be a number of things:
One - it is possible that they are adapting to their new home. In doing so, the old leaves will turn yellow and the new ones which should sprout up will be green.
Two - they are heavy feeders. If the soil does not have the best nutrients it needs for LA's to thrive, then they need to be fed. One of the best foods you can give them is Miracid.
Three - Sundry is absolutely correct to say - they need sun. At LEAST a half day of sun or more.

When I recieve my LA's iris - I prepare my ground using peat moss, existing natural soil, and I put unmixed (powdered form) Miracid directly into the soil. (mixing all 3 items before I plant the iris). They love it and grow very well with this treatment.

I hope this helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.