Looked at my Iris this AM

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

I was one of those newer gardeners that went crazy buying plants last year and I got a number of Iris. During the winter, I read a thread that someone had started about mulching Iris being wrong. Oops, I knew that I had done this in the fall, not knowing it was wrong, and have spent the last two months biting my nails and wondering if I would find all my beauties had rotted. The first time I went out to look, there was still ice in the leaves with which I mulched and I couldn't pull it away. Today, however, I got all the mulch away and made sure all the tubers were exposed. It looks like none of my iris suffered any ill affects. None were mushy and all had signs of new growth! I am so lucky. Must be dumb luck!

;~D

LimeyLisa Kay

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey, I mulch in the fall but move it this time of the year too. Just don't mulch in the summer, or the retained moisture will rot them. Mine have thawed & I will be cleaning the iris clumps in the next few days. I still keep the daylilies & mums covered until mid April. Iowa always likes to throw a late snow or ice storm at me in April.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

mine are covered in straw and it will stay there a few more weeks!

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Limeylisa -

I am glad your iris survived the winter !

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Mine got mulched by the leaves falling off the trees all winter long. I pulled it all back, but most of the iris never went dormant this winter ... Those that did don't seem to be coming back. hmmmmmmmmmmmm! This can't be good ..

Cheri'

My iris are partially green all winter in Iowa--even under the snow. I'm uncovering them now so the spring rains don't rot them out. Irises are tough to kill here. My business partner left some out all winter (unplanted!)accidently, and they're sprouting new blades this week!
My worst nightmare is our puppy running thru the beds & breaking off stalks. Will he ever grow up???

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, I really hate to say it , but I left 3 clumps out on the rr tie all winter, exposed to everything that was thrown at us! And YES, they are sending up new growth also!

My irises look particularly nice all cleaned up & old leaves trimmed. 1/2 my garden done & waiting for warm weather to return to do the rest.

Norlina, NC(Zone 7a)

I too unknowingly mulched my irises, but now I know better. Luckily I removed the mulch earlier this week when I was uncovering other perennials that are actively growing and there wasn't any damage. As a matter of fact, I have several new "leaflets" growing from my more mature irises :)
Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.