Hummingbird food

Tilton, NH(Zone 4a)

I know I can mix up my own hummingbird food, but I've lost the recipe. My lil' buddy from last year came looking for the feeder yesterday, so I need to get it back out there soon.
Thanks,
Cedar

Agawam, MA

Hi Cedar,
I make my nectar by adding sugar to water in the ratio of 1 part sugar to 4 or 5 parts water. I use warm water so it dissolves better, and I do not add red food coloring.
HTH, CIndy

Tilton, NH(Zone 4a)

Oh, thanks! I'm going to put up the feeder right away and then keep my eyes open for him to be back!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Too weak and they don't get the amount of sugar they need; too strong and they can become dehydrated. The 1 part sugar to 4 parts water is correct.

Take 1 cup of sugar and add it to 4 cups hot water, stir, then microwave it for 15 minutes so it has a chance to boil for a while. It's important the water boils, whether you do it on the stove or in the microwave. Let it cool and refrigerate any unused portion for up to a week or so. If you go to pour it in your feeder and see any mold in the water or on the lid of your storage container (like I did the other day), dispose of the water and make fresh.

Agawam, MA

Hi gardenwife,
I never boiled mine, should I boil it to kill germs?

Thousand Oaks, CA

If you really want 'good' food for your hummers, you should add more than just sugar water. If you can find 'Emeraid', a protein/ vitamin powder for birds, it is a lot more nutritious for them (you still need to add water and sugar). The recipe is 1 part sugar, 4 parts water and 1/8 part Emeraid. The only problem with this is mold and bacteria grow in this even faster than in the normal sugar water, so the feeders have to be cleaned daily.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.