Would like information

Clermont County, OH(Zone 6a)

on what would be good container plants. I have room on the front porch and on the side patio here at the apartment. The front has partial shade and patio has full sun. What does everyone use for containers as well. I'm new to this and would like to make sure I do everything right.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Any good potting soil, Miracle-Gro, Jungle Growth,Sam's Choice to name a few. Don't buy the cheap stuff for it may compact. As for the containers - most anything will do as long as they have holes in the bottom for drainage. Use a good fertilizer, Osmocote is easy to use and it is a time release fertilizer. Sprinkle every three months. Most importantly do not overwater! You can buy a gauge for about $7.00 at "Lowes Builders Supply". Forgot to mention a fact about type of containers. For me, clay pots are best because they don't blow over but you have to watch the water moisture because water evaporates faster in clay pots.
Many people use the self-watering plastic pots which are very good because you can't overwater. I have found them in my area only at WALMART. I suggest this for any one that has a busy schedule or a beginner in gardening. As far as type of plants "Parks" Catolog tells which plant is best for shade and which plant is best for sun. So ENJOY!!!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Million Bells make very good container plants (they have some beautiful dark pink ones that I plan on buying this Spring). Also, I like geraniums and bacopa.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

My favorite when I was an apt. dweller was Bright Lights Swiss chard with nasturtiums hanging down. Pretty and yummy.

I'll have to check all those out. I figure I may not have a yard but I still have the porch and patio. I might as well give it some life.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Impatients, Portulaca, Petunias, and several others make great pot plants. I've raised all of these in pots successfuly for several years.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Many of the lettuces are lovely potted plants. I grow mine in a shallow round bowl type that is about 16" in diameter. I plant several to a pot or broadcast mesclun mix.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here's one of my salad bowls.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Caladiums are wonderful pot plants and so are coleus...especially for your partial shade area. They are cheerful and colorful...and easy.

I have pots of oriential lilies at my full sun back door...they put on quite a show in late spring, early summer...then I move the pots to the background and put in something to finish out the summer with.

This cultivar is known as Diablo.

Thumbnail by melody

Wow, wonderful pictures. You all have given me some great ideas. I think I will work with the Caladiums, coleus, and may try the salad bowl idea. Thanks everyone.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Callas are also good in pots. They come up very quickly. Red hot pokers are good too. I can send you one when I send the fuzzy jew. They are beyond hardy here.

Thanks frogrus. I'm making sure the wandering jew plant I have for you has its roots down. Still waiting to hear back on getting a curly spider too.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Far as I'm concerned, ANY plant is OK for containers! And I'm trying my best to prove myself right! LOL!

Two sites that I visit for inspirartion are:

Proven Winners
http://www.provenwinners.com/recipes/comborecipes.phtml

and the TAMU site
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/floriculture/container-garden/web_gallery/index1.html

Happy growing!

PV

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

I live on the side of a mountain, and have deer problems, so I tend to stick to deer-proof flower bulbs. To top it off, I have to plant most of my flowers in containers, because of gophers!

A friend gave me this old strawberry pot last summer, and I decided to stuff it with spring blooming flower bulbs. The side pockets have Purple, yellow and white crocus planted in them. The top section has a few crocus around the outer edge, then Hyacinth and Tulips in the center.

It began blooming in mid February with the crocus on the sides, then the Hyacinth came up and bloomed. It is now the end of March, the crocus is long gone, the hyacinth just died, and the tulips are about to bloom.

Of all my planted containers, this one has been the most long-lived, and enjoyable.

Thumbnail by ladyrowan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.