What would you do with a lazy hydrangea?

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

I need some advice :)
We bought our home 10 years ago, and the landscaping was fairly new (planted 2-3 years before we bought the house). There's a hydrangea out front that has only bloomed every 3 years. And then, only one bloom all summer on the whole shrub. The plant is huge, not struggling. It seems to die back somewhat every winter, the top 3/4 of each "cane" appears dead and the bottom 1/4 gets green buds in early summer. But no flowers. Well the last couple summers I was sorely tempted to give it the boot..this spring I'm going to.
My question is, do I just toss it? Has anyone else had a bum hydrangea that got moved and then did well?
Eileen

PS yes, I did try covering it over winter, cutting it back to the ground, not cutting it back, fertilizing, not fertilizing etc.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

It appears that your buds are getting frozen during the winter. Hydrangea macrophylla blooms on old wood and the flower buds are often killed during the winter, especially in your zone 5a (I'm surprised the plant has made it). There is a new variety out there that blooms on new wood called 'Endless Summer' that was discovered blooming in Minnesota. If you want a macrophylla that will bloom consistently, I would suggest replacing your poor performer with 'Endless Summer'.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Aha! Thanks for the help. I'll have to check out Endless Summer.

Eileen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.