pruning lorapetalum

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

I have a large lorapetalum that is getting "sprangly". I am considering pruning it just as I would any other shrub, but I thought I'd see if anyone else prunes theirs and what time of the year they feel it's best to prune. Thanks for any help I can get!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I can't say much on the time of year (though, most are blooming now, so I'd say trim after bloom time), but most around here are either let to grow 'sprangly' - which many love for the delicate, airy quality - or are shaved into attractive hedges. Less blooms that way, but you've still got the nice foliage. I think it just depends on how you want it...

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Carter, for your info. Mine is just getting ready to bloom so I think I will cut it back a little after it blooms. I like the light, airy feel also, but some of the stems are just too long to be attractive, and I believe it just needs to be shaped. I am surprised people prune it into hedges in Houston. It is not a common plant here, and I have not seen it in too many landscapes, but I really like mine. Thanks again.

Williams, CA(Zone 9a)

I am thinking of planting lorapetulum in front of our house, a strip about 15 ft by
3 ft wide. It is mostly shade as we have large fruitless mulberry trees in our yard.
would you suggest adding anything for contrast? I love the idea of the airy look
over the hedge. On the opposite side of the side walk we do have boxwood hedge. what variety do you have-I am going to plant the 4-6 ft variety. Thank you for for your input.

Dee in California

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.