How close does a vine have to be planted to get it to climb?

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Purchased a beautiful Pandorea vine for the house in CA. Wanted to plant to plant next to the edge of patio cover so it could train it up and over the top. The in-ground sprinkler pipes are in the way. My husband says he would have to sink it in the ground 2 feet away from the patio cover. Could it still be trained up and over the patio cover or would it look dumb? Also thought about purchasing a big pot to put it in but worry a bit about the daughter remembering to water it.
Any suggestions?
This may seem like a goofy picture but if you look beyond the table which sits on the cement patio you will see the area where the patio stops, the white post we wanted it to climb up and the garden beyond.

By the way~found it at Home Depot for $15 and it is thick and about 4 feet high off the top of the pot on a trellis.

Thanks,
Arlene

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Arlene,

I would think you could train it toward the post you want it to climb. Pin it in place (going toward the post) with landscape pins or put a stone on it to hold it in that direction. Just mho.

Thank you, Gingerlily,
So you don't think it is too far away. I even thought about having the gardener move the sprinklers as I want this effect; vines going over the patio cover.

Thank you
a

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Your table settings are beautful!!!!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Arlene, I don't have an answer to your question!!! LOL.....I just wanted to say that you set a beautiful table! I enjoyed the pic...thanks!

Brinda :)

Thank you for your kind words. That was a special luncheon in honor of my grandaughter's confirmation and celebrate my stepdaughter's engagement. She was married last July.

Sorry this was the only picture I had. Even went through old photos; probably need to pull out old photo albums but I just don't have time right now. Hubby is out there with shovel in hand waiting to know what to do. (Wonder if he stood out there all night? LOL)

edited for grammer . . .

This message was edited Mar 21, 2004 12:30 PM

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

2 feet away is not that far. As it grows you can use twine to pull it gently toward the post until it is large enough to reach it. It will make your lovely setting even more enchanting.

Thank you for the encouragement, Zany

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.