Two bloom colors on Helleborus plant

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I thought this looked really cool when I saw it this morning. Any other shade gardeners experience this with Helleborus orientalis?

Thumbnail by sweezel
San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi sweezel,

That's normal for Hellebores. Once the flower has done its thing, the petals go green. Well, unless they are a Hellebore which starts green and stays green. Hellebores are among my favorite perennials. They are tough long lived plants which require very little care and thrive in a wide variety of zones. I really enjoy how they flower when so many other things are dormant. One of the first indicators that spring is coming.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2004 6:26 PM

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah, this bloom started out green. The green one just opened the day before I took the picture. It is my second bloom. The white one is a week old. I have had another bloom open today and it is white. I had read that older blooms turn green, but it seemed odd that this one was already green when it opened. I think it makes it interesting though.

I am really glad I planted it last fall. I also planted a Helleborus Niger too. It was divided before planting so I have it in two places, but it is only blooming in one of the places. I don't think it is quite as pretty as the H. Orientalis though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.