cutting and propagating cactus question

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 9a)

I need to cut an "arm" off a cactus in my yard, it's one of those big, fat California cactus, with the edible red nodules, about 3-4 feet tall. I want to replant the cutting, if I just saw it off and stick it in the ground (the arm is about 3 feet long itself), will that do it? Should I seal the wound with anything? I feel like I'm hacking into a human!!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Just let the cutting alone for at least a week, and let it cure..I just lay mine around somewhere until I think about planting them.I have had all kinds of cactus cutttings, some for for months before planting, lol, and they do fine..Some I have had an entire season, just up on a shelf somewhere..Your's sounds like a Prickly Pear, and you cannot kill them.. Just make sure the wound is good and dry before planting, this keeps it from rotting..Also, I don't water them for a few days after planting...

Larkie

Valley Village, CA

Those red thingys are cactus pears. That is the fruit and where the seeds are stored. I have receipes to make good jam out of that fruit, and you also may eat it just like any other fruit. Enjoy, Norma

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much!! I haven't eaten any of the fruit yet, but there sure are a lot of them, I have 4 big cactus.........

Valley Village, CA

Make sure they are very ripe, kind of a purplish red, or very yellow orange, I believe they come in more than 1 color. They should be sweet, soft, and you might want to remove the spines.
Pliers? Burn them off? cut them off? Any other ideas, there is a way to do everything, and we want to know. I'll hit the books again tonight to see what clues I come up with. Norma

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Norma!

Lynne

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I made prickly pear jelly years ago. It was slimy but very good tasting. I stuck a fork into the base of the pear and held it over a gas flame to get rid of the thorns. Good luck.

Valley Village, CA

I also heard that was the best way to get rid of the thorns.
Let me know if you make jelly. I want to know how it turns out. I have also heard that the fruit on the Rhipsalis is ediable. This is a fun hobby. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.