Clematis confusion

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

I have several different clematis, about 10 or so. I just realized that they all have different pruning needs...Grouped as 1, 2 or 3. How confusing! I have Mrs. James Mason that I cut to the ground a couple of weeks ago, and now I find it to be in group 2, and I might have just ruined it - I need to research group 2 I guess - but is there a way to simplify all this? How do the rest of you handle your clematis?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

If you can figure out how to navigate this site, there should be some good information there for you.
http://www.clematis.com.pl/wms/wmsg.php/57145.html

Lake Lure, NC

There is an excellent writeup on Wayside Garden's site covering 1,2,3 clematis and how to handle and prune them.

www.waysidegardens.com

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

shearpamela - I can certainly understand your confusion and fustration by planting various groups all together. Don't worry about cutting all the Clematis to the ground. That will increase the size of their root balls, which enable them to send up more vines, thereby giving your garden a full and lush look.

In the future when you plant Clematis, it is easier & less fustrating if you plant all the groups separately.

For your info:

Group 1 (no pruning necessary)
Group 2 (light pruning only)
Group 3 (prune hard to about 6" above the ground).

Hope this information helps!

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks! That makes it easier to understand :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.