Moving containers

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I have some plants in containers & would like to move them BUT the roots have grown into the ground. How much damage will I do if I cut off a lot of the roots. It would be a job digging them out.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Probably ought to prune the top of plant as well,to make up for the root loss.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

How does that compensate?

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

last fall all of my container plants had roots in the ground even my tangerine i just pulled them up and moved into the hoop where they proceded to do it again. i have been trimming the roots up and it hasn't hurt them, most are blooming.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I gasped when I saw this thread. I have never heard of it happening, but could see how it could. Can you take cuttings, just in case?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Dinu,if you cut some of the top back it will relieve some stress
from the plant,when you cut back some of the roots.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

You know, it depends on how much root is growing out of the pot! Personally, I've not had a problem cutting the roots but I don't let them grow that long. I check the pots every month. Perhaps you are having this problem because your pots are to small and the plants are not meant for container growth?

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Tplant. Most are brugs. The worse one was small when put it in the greenhouse but really grew & even has blooms. It is very top heavy but even seedling are doing it. I will have to repot when I bring them out as they are in 1 gallon pots.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

THANKS FOR THE THREAD! You all have soved my problem with my Mexican Flame Vine. I bought it at a yard sale and it was huge and in pot that looked about 3 gal. I can't dig, but I wanted it along my fence. Anyway.... I cut the bottom out of the pot, scratched a hole in the ground, mixed in potting soil with the dirt and set the pot on top of it. Poor thing had grown around itself, but I got the vines stretched out on the fence. Do you think it will grow into the ground? I sure hope so. Not bad planting for an old broad! (grin)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I think when I do my Brugs in the big containers, I will be sure to have something under the pot, protecting it from the earth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.