I accidentaly 'topped' my seedlings...

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

What will happen now that I pinched back the growing tips on my tomatoes? I think they are all indeterminate, Pruden's Purple and Brandywine. Will they keep growing, or do I need to start over?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Eco,

How big (tall or how old) are the seedlings and are they still inside or outside in the ground?

Carolyn

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Something new for me! Why do you pinch back seedlings?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I don't think you are supposed to pinch seedlings. You can probably wait and SEE if they survive, but I'd start some new ones right away just in case.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

They are about 6-8" tall and inside. I was pinching things back to keep them from getting too big inside and did these too. Oops! I think they have 2 sets of true leaves on them now. Maybe 3. I started the seeds indoors around March 1st.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Oh - I don't consider those seedlings anymore. I topped mine once because they were getting too tall (I'd started them too early) and not only did they survive, they ended up very stalky, wonderful plants with lots of maters. I'd hold on to them! Let me know how they are doing.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Eco,

A 6-8 inch seedling with only two leaves is, ahem, n ot a good seedling.

Methinks they are starved for light and/or overfertilized, but the two leaf stage should occur when they are about two inches tall.

It isn't a catastrophe that you pinched out the leader stem, since these are indeterminates, but with only two leaves at that height I think if I were you I'd start over again.

In your zone you have plenty of time to do so.

I'm not sure how you're growing your seedlings but they must have enough light, whether that be artificial lights or on a windowsill somewhere.

As I said, the two leaf stage, when they should be initially transplanted, should occur when they are only about two inches tall.

What you have right now are very leggy seedlings that are still quite young, and with the centers pinched out already.

So IMO if you have enough seed you should start over aga in, and try for a compact seedling.

Seedlings should not be pinched and they shouldn't be given much fertilizer, which is bad for them at that age.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I think there is a slight misunderstanding. They have 2 'sets' of leaves, so 4 or so. They are under lights and in a south facing window. I do have plenty of seeds, so I will start some new ones but also keep these and see how they go. I planted them in the peat seed starting mix, so I don't think they are over fertilized. In fact I haven't added any fertilizer to any of my seedlings and they could probably use it since they are 2-4 wks old now! :) Thanks all for your help. If you have anything to add please keep posting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.