Michigan Lilies

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

We have some Michigan Lilies growing back in an area that is lightly wooded. We just discovered these last year, but missed getting any seed pods. Went back to look for them, but couldn't even find the plants .... the deer may have eaten them.

Recently someone sent me some seeds marked Michigan Lily, so I am hoping that I can get some started or plant them back where the others are.

Has anyone grown these from seed? Would I be better off just sowing them directly where I want them to grow?

I've read that they have to be cross pollinated in order to get viable seed. Cross pollinated with what? another plant of the same thing? or another Lily? Can it just be another flower on the same plant?

If anyone has some knowledge about this plant or growing it from seed, I would be most grateful for the help.

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

I recently found this webpage, with pictures and descriptions of dozens of species of Lilies, maybe you can find informations about your plant in there: http://www.the-genus-lilium.com/galleries.htm

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

We have a lily here we call Leopard lily, looks very much like that one. I planted seeds of it in a spot in my woodland garden & it took 2 years for it to actually look like anything, but there is a good group of them coming up now. It will be fun to see if they actually bloom this year. If they do, I have about 1/4 cup of seeds. Glad I have been collecting them.
I'm going to try some in pots in the green house.
Happy planting!
Bj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.