Help Planning Pen!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

K,

I'm planning on building a new enclosure for the mutts.

It's going to be about 100` x 100` (ft) .

Fencing will be about eight ft high with three ft jump proof overhang- bottom fencing about three foot out as well. (on the ground to prevent digging).

That's the "hardware".

I wanna make it pretty now.

Around the outside I plan on lining with native Pines keeping them trimmed as a solid shrub.

Inside will be a pond,underground collapse proof cave as well as a few "mountains" for climbing.

The pond will be surrounded by pea gravel (pretty roundish rocks) and planted with hardy hardy grasses. Hardy until the dogs eat them that is.

I need plants! Preferably native to Florida, but they dont have to be! Plants that arent deadly if nibbled.

These will not be INSIDE the encloure
- they will border it outside and be planted in pretty beds.

Tall grasses.

Bushy Grasses.

Compact grasses.

Flowers (Want deep shades if possible) with LOADS of fragrance.

Ground cover.

Anything you can think of!

I don't want a vine growing on the fence for fear it might cause eventual collapse.
I Am planning on planting some sort of rambling roses on a seperate fence to add fragrance and beauty. Maybe a Cherokee Rose?- I'd rather have a dark rose though.

Are there any grasses that can withstand dog urine? Probably not but thought I'd ask.

There is a "dead zone" about three foot around the whole pen that wont be planted. Nothing grows here.

I not only want it to be pretty just for looking, but, I plan on taking pictures of my babies and want glorious natural backgrounds.

Any ideas are more than welcome, but plants especially!

Please help me make an ecosystem.
Thanks guys!

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!