other plants for my rose garden

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

i want to put something in the middle of my rose garden & here is some that i would like to try.
foxglove.
lupine.
canterbury bells.
Iris.
calla lily.
begonias.

any ideas for anything more
i have a big rose garden.
(about 200 roses) & nothing
in the middle.

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

Clematis are beautiful climbing up and through the roses....

(Zone 5b)

I second clematis! I read clematis is THE perfect companion to roses. I've also mixed some iris with my roses, but it got too crowded. Then I placed some potted begonias in between another rose bed, which fit very nicely. I think I have a bit of sedum growing low around one shrub, which I kinda like too. Maybe some viola as fillers? Another mistake I made last year was to plant many, many (too many) annuals among some mini rose bushes. I had no idea those annuals could get so tall!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

There are some nice lower growing Clematis out there, and they do look pretty as companion plantings! Are you talking rose beds or verticality(climbers, etc)???? Ask me, I have close to 450 roses(mostly the climbing kind)

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thank you
Shearpamela:
Cheryl-Il:
Roselaine:
with the sugestion of
clematis from all of
you i know what i will
be putting in my rose
garden,i only have 2
climbers in my rose
garden & they are on
each side of my trellis.
I used the weed killer
roundup around my roses
& have for years with no
problems until last year.
a suprise rain came within
one hour,well the name
roundup works because it
rounded up 75 of my rose
bushes.

Mt.Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

Hi, I have over 180 roses. I use shasta daisys, hollyhocks, dill, other herbs, delphiniums, poppys, coreopsis, salvias, helenium, lambs ears, thyme, gerber daisys, daffodils, tulips, the skies the limit and you have a ton of choices.

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

I've read in a bunch articles that Catmints (Nepeta faassenii, N. grandiflora, N. mussinii and N. siberica) are excellent Rose companion plants. Not sure why; but, I do like them. They are nice undemanding plants, which I have found to be fairly drought tolerant. With a little bit of effort they put up a nice long lasting show with clouds of purple-ish lavender flowers. Not to be confused with Catnip, Nepeta cataria, which is pretty weedy.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

One of my favorite plants is the 'Bowles Mauve' erysimum or wallflower. This plant just blooms so long and it so pretty. Mine is in full bloom now and will continue to bloom for a long long time. Its one really big drawback is that they don't have long lives even though they are classified as perenniels.
I think they burn themselves out. But I still think it is worth it because of the long bloom period. I have learned to take cuttings to insure that I always have some of this plant.My guess is that you probably get three to five years from a plant.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Did I dream this: Seems like someone told me if you plant parsley with your roses, the blooms will smell stronger than without. Parsley is a pretty plant too. How about tons of poppies? I just sowed about a quarter cup of seed along the edge of my veggie garden.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Can't beat Baby's Breath with roses either.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

The tall Alliums are quite beautiful, say in the midst of the shorter growing perennials...they are also beneficial to the roses, in that the sulphur content in the roots, kind of keep the bad insects at bay! just a suggestion! Elaine

Norlina, NC(Zone 7a)

I know they aren't pretty to some, but I have garlic and regular chives planted near my roses. I read somewhere that they were supposed to repel some insects and I can attest that I haven't had aphids, now thrips that's another story. I have seen rose beds with baby's breath and irises that were just spectacular. I second those suggestions and also I think that catmint would be nice, if the color combo fits. Let's see, I also have some lovely lamb's ear planted in one of my rose beds, planted them there just because.
Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.