Sedum burrito basking in the sun

Northern California, CA

Made it through the wet cold months and is now puffing itself up. I'm hoping it will flower this year.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Mesilla Park, NM

That is really nice and full, it looks great.. love that look. Mine did not do too well this year..

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Nice burro. You must have it inside. The birds pick at mine as if it were grapes. Some of the tails are half naked, poor burro.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I never have any luck w/ them.
The problem is, I think, the light levels.

They grow so fragile that the least bump or wind causes them to drop all their leaves.

NICELY grown plant there!

Ric

Northern California, CA

I've never had much luck with Sedum morganianum - Donkey's Tail, but this species with the shorter stubbier leaves seems to not be as sensitive to every little bump.

There's a great picture in the PDB of Sedum morganianum from Palm Bob. http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/31340/
It's obviously an older plant and if you look at the stems, many of them are fairly bare except at the ends. I think this is the natural way it grows, but on young plants most of us find the look less than satisfactory.

My Sedum burrito has been either in the sun room or the greenhouse so it isn't exposed to the wind.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2004 8:05 AM

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

My Sedum burrito is outside all of the time. The birds don't bother it and the wind doesn't seem to be a problem. However, the vast majority of the growth is on the north side of the pot. (I don't turn it around because I don't want it to get sunburned.) It isn't a nice 360 degree plant like Happenstance has.

The blue in the picture is exaggerated, but not much. Look close at the picture and you can see the nectar dripping out of the flowers. http://davesgarden.com/t/420903/

This message was edited Mar 16, 2004 7:59 AM

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

This poor burro keeps the birds happy. I keep expecting it to show signs of true unhappiness as it is in a small hole in a log. I do feed it regularly (when I remember). It was a tiny plant 3 yrs ago. It gets the brunt of all weather conditions and keeps on ticking.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Valley Village, CA

I've kept mine out all winter, they can take the cold. I believe they are naturally from Mexico. Just keep them dry during the winter months, start watering again about April 1, depending on your conditions. I grow mine on an east or north exposure. Hanging up so I can't touch it. It will burn easily with too much sun, but so will all the other plants. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.