Has anyone heard of Madame emilie debatene ?

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I have 4 root for Madame emilie debatene Peony. Nothing pops up when using google to get information.

The box says it's a double Peony and shows a picture of a beautiful pale pink flower.

You are probably looking for Mme. Emile Debantent?

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

echoes,

Thanks for trying, but that one is dark pink. This one is very light pink according to the package.

I've double checked the spelling, and unless the package is wrong I have it correctly typed.

Where did you buy them, and where did they come from?

Hello Tree_Climber,
The only reference I could find was for a Madame Emile Debatene- a French double pink from 1927. The usual naming convention for a married woman would be to use her husband's name. Usually to be given a woman's actual name, she was either a noted horticulturalist or socialite. My source, "Peonies The Imperial Flower" by Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall only describes the color as pink and according to her is not available in the US.

We've come a long way, baby!
skatayama

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

The box says these come from "The Practical Gardener" in NJ. That probably could be a branch of another business.

Grown From Cultivated Stock.

Once you open up the box, the bags are marked : size 2/3 eyes.

Here's a picture of one of the bags to show you the condition of what I got.

What do you think? I need to get these potted don't you think? We have an inch or snow on the ground again, so getting them outside soon doesn't look feasable.

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's a picture of the photo on the box to give you an idea of the shade of pink it is.
(Pictured with darker pink: Mousieur jules elie)

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Echoes,

That didn't turn up much either, except this: (but it's something at least)

MME. EMILE DEBATENE (Dessert-Doriat, 1927) - Double - Pink - Late Midseason. Very similar in habit and form to Souvenir de Louis Bigot but with a darker and more brilliant pink coloring. This flower is considered its equal and by some its superior. It is a free and dependable bloomer.

Tree Climber,
You could post an inquiry to the Yahoo Peony group. I know there are many peony experts over there. They're a pleasant bunch but be aware they take their peonies very seriously.

Sheila

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

shiela,

I think I'll just stick close to home at Dave's Garden.... grin. All I need is another gardening place to visit .... if you know what I mean.

I guess I really don't need to know more about this plant ..... I'll just plant it and enjoy it's beauty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.