the best vine

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

hello again ,I made a arbor for my mom for mothers day and was wondering which vine you fellow Canadian flower gods would recommend thanks for your time Shawn

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Shawn,
My favorite vine is Clematis
This is Nelly Moser blooming at the end of June 03.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

This one is Proteus climbing up an arbour made of apple branches. This was blooming the beginning of Aug 03.

Thumbnail by Starzz
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Carol, that is one healthy happy vine! I have a tendency to plant clematis with my climbling and rambling roses,.....they compliment each other. I don't grow Nelly Moser, but many other unique flowering clematis...I tend to take a fancy to the Species, Cl. Viticella, Tangutica, Montanas, and the remaining large flowered ones are kept in containers....E.

ziekertail......I use many colourful annual vines also, ..Passionflowers, Morning Glories, the Snapdragon vine(Asarinas), Jasmines, and others....most of these are seeded from the beginnning....

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Elaine..I grow Golden tangutica over my Gazebo...
I am hoping to find a Sweet autumn this year for another spot I have..but it is mostly shade..do you think Sweet Autumn will do okay in shade?

This is my Golden tangutica..I found it grows very quickly.
I planted it in 1998..this photo was taken in 1999..it is the vine with the yellow tiny blooms.
The other vine is a Jackmani Clematis

Thumbnail by Starzz

Carol, that is an adorable gazebo! You need a rose up there.....how about Madame????????? The autumn blooming clematis needs the sun...the Alpinas can take some shade, Carol........good luck......E.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the compliment and the advice Elaine.
I'll look for an Alpina.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

I tend mostly toward annuals for the arbor as I can't seem to make a long term commitment (LOL) to one look. this year vining nasturtium as well as the mg's and thunbergia (hope it climbs as well as it hangs)

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

thanks for the idea my mom would love that vine

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm going to try the blue single clitoria.

Yorkton, Canada(Zone 3b)

Starzz, I agree with Roselaine that is an adorable gazebo. What is it made from?

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

who fast does the clematis spred ?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Starzz I love your Gazebo (finally clicked on the thumbnail).
Will have to show and drop hints to my DH ;)

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Dema thanks..It is made from Cedar tree trunk and limbs.

ziekertail..different clematis grow at different rates..
The Golden Tangutica grew very quickly for me..as you can see in the photo the one with the yellow flowers..that is only it's second year.
But others with the large blooms will take three years to get bushy. There is an old saying..first year they sleep..second year they creep..third year they leap.

Thanks Lilypon...Here is a photo from last summer....2003.
You can see how the vines have grown since 1999.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

:D it's gorgeous!!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm happy you like it Lilypon....It is my pride and joy..

This is when it was being built in April 1998..wow 6 years have passed.

A man I worked with had built one and I saw it and hired him to build me one.

So you can show your hubby just what he has to do now...LOL

Cheers,
Carol

Thumbnail by Starzz

There you are, Carol, nice to meet you face to face....the full blown photo of your Gazebo could represent an island unto itself! Happy gdning!!!!! Elaine

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Nice to *meet* you Carol and thank you! :)

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

:)
Smilin' here...

Yorkton, Canada(Zone 3b)

Starzz, Thank You for sharing the photos of the gazebo, I also have visions of duplicating it. It truly is gorgeous.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dema..
I love to show it off. It has brought me much pleasure.

The back of the gazebo has wisteria growing on it.
It only bloomed once..in 2002. I am hoping it might this year but so far I see no sign of buds.

Cheers,
Carol

Thumbnail by Starzz
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Boy would I love to grow it here...I've read many down South have a difficult time getting it to bloom as well (except Clare in California).

Yorkton, Canada(Zone 3b)

Lilypon..what do you think the chances of survival will be for a container wisteria growing in a greenhouse? I'm going to try this year, hope it isn't a waste of $$$$.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm not sure...I've read potted Wisteria tend to sulk more (a large pot would be prob. be the best). There are other vines that would be easier ie. passiflora. I love the look of the wisteria but have thought it to be too difficult. :(

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

If Pam thinks its too difficult mere mortals should probably not even consider it.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm growing a plumeria...who knows how it will do here but it's in the dining room and I'm not paying for heating a greenhouse. If I was I know I would want guaranteed blooms. Anything is possible but for the heating costs Brugies' "bang for the buck" is a consideration

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

I was at my local canadian tire stoe and was walking past the plant section when I spotted some clematis so I bought 2 a blue and the nelly mosser the blue one was starting to breakthrough but the nelly was and is just a chunck of root is this normal? please help thanks a bunch shawn

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Well all I can say is to have patience..usually there is some growth...but it is early in the season.
Plant them and cover the roots with mulch or another low growing plant. They like their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun.
Good Luck Shawn..I'm sure you will enjoy them.

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

I potted them up and have them inside do you think this will help?

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I think it will probably give them a little head start.
That way you can keep an eye on your Nelly Moser and see if you can see any growth coming.

Nelly is one of the most beautiful Clematis I think.
This is a link to the Plant database.
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/694/index.html

hczone6 has a lot of photos of his Nelly Moser on DG's.
He also has a Jackmani Clematis that is amazing.
Put his name in the search and see what you come up with.

This is my Jackmani that grows up my gazebo entrance
What is the name of your blue one?

Thumbnail by Starzz
fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

the blue one I got was the presedent srry for taking so long I was putting all my spare time in to finding ezekiel I found it !!!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

The President is one that I have..very nice, large flower..just had it a couple of years..hoping this year it will really take off.
This is The President July 1st last year.
Happy Gardening,

Cheers,
Carol

Thumbnail by Starzz
fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

I never new clematis was so nice ,do you fertilize your vines ?

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi again,
No I don't fertilize them as I have such a large yard..and so many plants to look after. I just let nature look after them.

I do try to fertiize my few roses..and the Rhododendrons, and the hanging baskets though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.