Thunbergia alata - do they reseed themselves?

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I had some Thunbergia alata - Salmon Shades, growing on a fence last summer, and was wondering if they will reseed.

The seed pods, exploded sending the seeds everywhere so I will have them all over the place if the seeds can survive Zone 5 winters.

If they can't survive here, does anyone know in what zone they do reseed? I have a friend in zone 7 that wants some seeds, but I wouldn't want to send them without a warning if they can become invasive.

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

they do reseed but you have to watch for the seed pods.

i am down here in sc so they do reseed here. they regular orange one does better then the one you have pictured though. but yes they will seed. just mark your flowers after the flower falls off or put a blanket around the bottom to catch the seeds as this one likes to seed with no one watching it. they are hard to find too.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

imzadi,

What zone is your area of NC? Would you call these a pest or invasive for you?

I appreciate your help.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

if kept in a pot no not too bad. i have had a few seeds start outside the pot but i just pull them up. i grow mine in a big pot each year. even the few i have had grow outside the pot havent spread. i give them plenty of trellis to climb on. the rather climb up then down.

i am in south carolina.

i am an 7-8b zone. i sit on the line for the zones in south carolina. they will do good in zone 7.

the seeds will surprise you on what they can take or not take.

hope this helps. marie

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks a lot Marie for all the help.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

They reseed here but the salmon colors do not seem to reseed as readily as the orange ones. They are a beautiful year round vine here in 10a. Mine got very ragged because of the ash and heat we had from the fires here so I am pulling them out and starting over. Your salmons are beautiful.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone for all the help. It sounds like the salmon shades won't germinate as well as other varieties. I really prefer the orange or yellow one's, but I don't have seed for those........... may have to buy a plant come spring.

I do have some seeds for the salmon shades soaking in water and will see how well they germinate. I'll post the percentage later.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

let me check and see if i still have some of the seeds from my plant for the orange one. if i do we will work something out.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks imzadi.

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Frogsrus I have a Thunbergia gibsonii, the other orange one.The San Marcos people tell me it will go down to 25f and stay with leaves and 20f and still live. Had any feedback. I live in zone 9b, Sunset 14. Here's it's picture.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2004 12:48 AM

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Monterey, Tree_Climber,
I don't have any seeds from this vine but would be interested in both of your varieties if you guys have seed available. Please let me know. I'll be happy to send you SASE. Thanks.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

monterey, I cooked my gibsonii. It did not take the sun as well as the alatas. I will find another plant and give it a bit more shade. I want a white alata too. They carried them last year and I was too stupid to pick up some.

Treeclimber, the plants are not invasive. They just crawl all over themselves and get thicker and thicker. I will try to remember to take my camera with me on monday to take a picture of a house by DD's school. It is by the coast and has walls of thunbergia. Stunning.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Tree Climber, I've grown several kinds of thunbergia's around here and they have gone to seed. Never once have I had a volunteer come up the next year. My niece, however, did have a few, but nothing that was out of control.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone,

I didn't think that they would be invasive, but it's great to get confirmation of that.

BugVine, I just gave the last of my extras away. Sorry.... I would have been glad to send some your way. Maybe next year if you still want them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.