New to Peonies

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I am new to growing Peonies....they were a flower/plant from my childhood. I planted 4 generic plants last Spring. They never did much last year, but I really didn't expect them to.
I have yet to see them breaking ground this year. Should I be worried yet that they didn't survive? We did have a very cold nasty winter this year.

RikerBear

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

RikerBear. Here, 40 miles north of you, my neighbors peonies in her raised bed on the south side of the house are just barely breaking ground.Spring is slow to come.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hmmm...I'm in zone 8b, I have SO many things up and growing and blooming already I would have thought the peonies would be popping up too. Well maybe I am just being impatient....I do tend to be one of those NOW type gardeners :-)
Thanks for the reply

This message was edited Mar 11, 2004 11:54 AM

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

rikerbear, peonies have different bloom times, some are early, mid season and late season...if you have a late season peony it will come up in the spring later than an early or midseason one. Check to see which variety you planted. Don't worry, they are very tough! Hang in there! :) Bev

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Plus don't worry about the cold! They live in zones 3 and 4 without any help!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Rikerbear, I hope that you followed directions in planting your peonies. They must not be planted more than 2" below the level of your ground where you are planting in order for them too bloom.
And yes, they can be slow to emerge due to weather conditions. Mine are under 8" of snow right now.
I have grown them for over 50 yrs.

Maxine

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks everyone for your info and replies.
1: I have no idea what type these are as they were simply marked "Peony' pink $2.99 :-)
2: Wonderful to know they survive up to zone 3
3: I do remember measuring to make sure they were not planted to deeply, as I had read that could spell disaster.

It is most likely just me being impatient....again :-)

RikerBear
Marc

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

YIPPY!!! I have spotted pups sprouting up on three of the four planted.
My worry was just a result of me being impatient....as usual.

RikerBear

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

The fourth one popped yesterday....which means they all survived YEA!!!!!
Now lets see if they bloom.....I have this nagging feeling I planted them to deep and all I will get is foliage.
My but I'm a pessimist :-)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Two of my peonies do appear to have settled lower in the soil than I think is correct. I have pulled back all the mulch and such, but these two look like they are down in a a hollow well of sorts.
Is it safe to dig these up and move them higher in the soil?
I know I may lose bloom by disturbing them, but if they're planted to deep I won't get bloom anyway....right?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Can you just lift it with a spade and while you hold it up, have someone fill some soil underneath? (Unless you are much more talented than I and can manage that alone!) If you have a large clump of dirt, I don't think they'll hardly notice at all. I bought a red peony 2 years ago and had one bloom the first year. Last year I had 3 blooms and I noticed this pm that it's about 3" tall already! Yippee!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Kooger, that is exactly what I was hoping someone would suggest....it's what I was going to try anyway :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.