Serious advice needed

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

As some of you may know I have serious problems with the GP I've seen from time to time. Very serious.
18 months or so ago (the summer of 2002) he changed some medication I was on. The change was too drastic - I reacted badly. I was ill for 4 months. That's why I didn't do my dissertation for uni then that I was supposed to be doing. And it's why I felt so ill trying to do my Java assignment. Java's difficult anyway. ALL the uni modules are difficult anyway. Not too surprisingly I failed that module - but I would probably have failed whatever I sat at that period because I just felt so ill.

I asked him for a sicknote for extension/mitigation. He told me that the practice had a special arrangement with the university - that the university contacted them for these notes and that the university paid the doctors for writing them. I offered to pay myself for the certificate but he said no, the university would pay for it.

So I went ahead with extension and mitigation. Got the extension but I just felt terrible. Put in for mitigation.

My application for mitigation was refused. And I was made to transfer onto a different course.

I've very very little faith in all these bureaucratic procedures and the people who do them. They just keep letting me down. Finally saw Phil Semp, the education officer earlier this week. It's too late now of course to put all of this right. Impossible. I was too traumatised at the time to put myself through the ordeal of doing a re-sit when I had wrongly been refused Mit Circs.

I told Phil Semp about this doctor. He knows him. Says "He's good for sport injuries but [deleted] at everything else". And he says he has never heard of this "Special arrangement" - he thinks I've been fobbed off.

I called in at the surgery this morning to hand in my prescription for eye-drops. I asked if they could check my file for me to see whether this letter had been written. No letter. I asked about this "special arrangement" - they've never heard of it. They thought it sounded very unlike him.

If this man has lied to me - and it's sounding like a possibility that he has - then there is no way I will countance a man in authority lying to me. I've asked for a copy of the complaints procedures.

I would like to have this man's intestines chopped into tiny pieces. Well, that won't happen.

I'd like to see him severely censured. This is the doctor whom I saw about my bladder problem - the one who said, "You're not wetting the bed are you? Well then, hold it in!"

I'd like to see him retired from practice. :)

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

He sound like a quack. I would surely find another Doctor.

He's not a quack. He's the head of a practice. :(

I've told the practice I don't want to see him again. I've booked an appointment with another doctor. Too late now for me to get back on my course.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

dear northerner,
i'm sorry to hear about all your problems. i will encourage you though to write a letter to the government or whatever agency that monitors doctors, where you live. i would then send copies of this letter to the doctor and whoever else you can send one along too. perhaps the hospital he practices at, the other doctors in his practice etc... if people don't report things like this, then nothing ever happens. i know in my state here in u.s.a. the doctor has to have so many complaints withing a certain time period before they will even do anything about it. so you go for it and stand up for your rights.
debi z

Thank you debi. I phoned the practice manager a few days ago. He knew nothing about this "arrangement" that the GP had told me off. Most of the other doctors in the practice will write a letter for student patients (though they will charge for it as it's not a legal right for the patient). I don't mind paying, I'd offered to pay for it.

The practice manager explained that it was not a legal right. They would prefer the university to go for self-certification instead (less work for the doctors) and is free for students. But the university wants these letters - it wants to cut down plagiarism and keep up academic standards.

But the doctor I saw refuses absolutely to write these letters in any shape or form. Part of it is because of a dispute about whether or not students should apply for them. And part of it is this dispute with the university - that they want the university to go for self-certification.

But what doctor did was tell me that they have an arrangement with the university - that the university pays for these letters.

I have heard NOTHING so far that convinces me that this arrangement actually exists. Sounds like this doctor has told me a load of moonshine.

I have another appointment next week - to get my blood pressure checked (with a different doctor). Stress puts up blood pressure! So I'll get that apptment out of the way. Then I'll phone the practice manager again and try to get a straight answer out of him. I've already threatened to leave the practice. This time I'll be rooting for an apology.

If I don't get it then I'll be putting in a complaint. And I'll take it further if the complaint doresn't give me satisfaction.

The issue, as far as I see it, is not about practice procedures, but about honesty. This man has not been completely honest with me.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

You go, Girl. Don't take this lying down and let this jerk get away with it. If he can get away with doing this kind of thing to you he will do it to someone else. You are correct, it is a matter of honesty.One of the first rules of practicing medicine is: First of all, do no harm. Well he harmed you in several way and should be make to suffer the consequences.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

You go, Girl. Don't take this lying down and let this jerk get away with it. If he can get away with doing this kind of thing to you he will do it to someone else. You are correct, it is a matter of honesty.One of the first rules of practicing medicine is: First of all, do no harm. He harmed you in several ways and should be make to suffer the consequences.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2004 8:48 AM

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

It's such a shame that university department politics have such deletorious effects on students! I'm trying to help a young woman right now who is fighting the same kind of politics, which have nothing to do with her. She just has been the victim of their politics.

I wish you well in surviving through this and achieving your degree. I've been there myself recently, and the stress and frustration is almost unimaginable!

Hang in there though. I survived it and you will too! I've been pulling for you while following your thread.

Judith, survivor of Florida State University (which is no worse than all the others)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

northerner, i'm glad to see that you are standing up for yourself. i too have always felt that honesty is the cornerstone of life. when anyone chooses wrong over right, then they must suffer the consequences. i believe that if he did it to you, he has done it before and most likely never heard about it again.
the others in the practice, are going to cover his buttocks, most likely because of the fear of lawsuits. now isn't that a shame. i'm not one for lawsuits, but i am one for honesty. everyone makes mistakes, that is life. most do not choose to stand up and say, i made a mistake, i am sorry, how can i help to rectify this situation. most hide, and try to finagle there way out, blaming someone or something else. this is one of my greatest concerns in our country today. but enough of that. congratulations on your good work and keep it up. give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. keep us posted.
debi z

I'm probably going to have to leave well alone. My chat with the Practice Manager wasn't very helpful - apart from finding out that this GP never gives letters for students to the university. Never ever, not even if you're willing to pay for it. So all his talk about a special arrangement was a fabrication. The practice is one man short and is now not taking any more patients. If I put in a formal complaint I don't think I'll get anywhere with it. Except get struck off probably. I can have a quiet chat with the Health Authority, but it's obvious I'm not going to get anywhere with this.

I now have high blood pressure - and all the stress isn't good for me. And I've just had a bout of chickenpox - the spots are just fading now. I'm seeing another GP in the practice. He seems reasonably okay.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

noortherner,
you take care of yourself. that is the most important thing. oh my chickenpox. i take it your not 8 or 10 years old, so that is pretty serious stuff. glad to hear your on the other side of it.
debiz

Thank you Debi. I was very lucky with the chickenpox - just a mild dose, over it now. I had it when I was small, but apparently it IS possible to get it twice. I see the GP again in a fortnight's time. If my blood pressure is still up he'll put me on meds.

I've had some bad doctors in the past. This one seems okay. If it doesn't work out with him then I'll try to get into another practice.

I'm in my early 50s. Not old. Not at retirement age - I need doctors who are willing to keep me in good health for working.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i have searched high and low for doctors too. i have been known to have consultations with doctors before i agree to have them as my doctor. ;) it is a priviledge they must earn. suggestion if you must move on to another doc....to ask around to friends who admire and like there doc, or to folks who work in the medical profession/hospitals which doc is good or not. you take care of your blood pressure. i think we both need to get out into the garden. :)

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Northener, how are you doing now? I am hoping that you got your extension and mitagation is done and you are back on track for your degree. It is very hard to fight the system if you need others to help you in the fight and they are not willing to help you 100%. I am sorry this happened and am praying that all is well with you.

Have often wondered how your glaucoma is doing and also your high blood pressure. Give us an update please.

Thanks, Lani

Hello Lani! Sorry, I've just seen this.

No, I never got my mitigating circumstances passed. I've been put onto another degree course (almost finished it now). The university still hasn't given me a chance to re-take the affected modules.

I had an interview for a job a week ago. Unfortunately I wasn't successful.

I contacted the manager of the medical practice but he wasn't helpful in the slightest.

My glaucoma is under control and my high blood pressure is also heading that way.

I'll be glad when I've finished this course.

Northener, I find it hard to believe that your uni won't allow you to retake those modules shame on them. I am so happy that you are doing well enough to still going to get a degree. I would be interested in what you are studying for?

"I'll be glad when I've finished this course." I bet you will be. Do you have a time that you will finish? I am sorry that you didn't get the job but I am sure there is one out there waiting for a person just like you. Don't let the worry about not getting the jobs that you apply for get you down because there is sometimes a time in our lives to learn more things about ourselves and others and this may be your time for that. It is interesting how much we can learn by rejection and by trying again and again.

Your health issues sound like they are much better and for that I am sure you are grateful as am I. Take care of yourself first and keep me posted as to your schooling, health and job situation.

Cyber hugs for ya. Keep on keeping on.

Lani

Hello Lani! Thank you.

I'm now studying for an M.Sc in Computing. Almost as good, but not quite as good. I hope to hand in my work about the end of August. Then I have to do a presentation at the beginning of September. And that's the finish!!!

I have just come back from showing my software to my superviser. He was pleased with it. He gave one section an "Average", several sections "Good" and three sections "Excellent". I'm pleased with the Excellent! He was particularly pleased with the Gallery I had created using my original images.

I still have to finish my report (there's more marks awarded for the report) but I'm quite a reasonable writer.

So, at the moment, I feel reasonably sure that I will pass.
/act crosses her fingers

I am sure you will pass!!!! Thanks for the update and I will keep you in my thoughts with good thoughts of your report too. You will have many blessings in life because of your education and I know you will do well.

I hope your health is better too. I guess sometimes I have to be a mother hen and take care of the chicks and you just happen to be one of my chicks. lol Let me know how you are doing that way too. Please?

Happy Gardening and a Happy Life too,
Lani

Thank you Lani.

My health isn't too bad at the moment. My glaucoma is being controlled. My blood pressure is heading that way too, though I suspect the doctor may hsve to put me on some more medication - I see him again in August so he can check my blood pressure again.

I am very glad that your glaucoma is under control now and your blood pressure is headed that way. Isn't it nice to know that you are headed in the right way with your health?

I have had high blood pressure since about 96 at which time I moved my Mother here from her home in Montana. She doesn't live with us but the stress of being her only caregiver had me really in a bad way blood pressure wise. Now that she is in assisted living my blood pressure has come down enough that if it is still down in 6 months when I have my next checkup she will take me off of my medicine for that and see if I can continue to keep it down.

Keep me posted as you continue to recover your health. I never "see" you much around DG and am interested in hearing from you in the future.

Lani

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Sorry you have had all this trouble.
God Bless,
Sandy

This message was edited Aug 27, 2004 3:46 AM

Thank you Sandy.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Northerner

from an moved away one previously from Wigan, i know what you mean on the national health service, it sucks big time. I hope all is going well, it sounds like it is, but you really do need to get yourself well again,as i know from experieince you cannot garden when you are not good :(

Take care and good luck with school

Diane

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.