Overwintering sweet pea seedlings

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

For the second year (yay!) my sweet pea seedlings have survived. The winter of '02-03, one volunteer survived under row cover. Brutally cold winter, snow almost 2 feet deep that persisted for months, no damage.

This year: one sweet pea seedling did not get covered, and it is still alive, not quite growing bigger, but green and healthy. The others that were covered are about the same condition: green, healthy, ready to burst into growth when it warms again.

My experiment worked! Sweet peas survived a low of +8F with no damage. And not continual snow cover this winter.

Another couple months and I will have masses of flowers for bouquets :)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

lupine. great. i'm glad your experiment is working well for you.
i'm personally wondering what zone 5 and 6 plants made it through our 3 week deep freeze here this winter. hoping for the best and knowing that if they all didn;t make it wellllll.....i'll just have to get more plants. poor me. i wanted to write woaw is me, but i don't know how to spell woaw and i couldn't even get close enough for the online dictionary. :)
i read recently that annual sweet peas like manure. i tried growing them last year, first time but no manure. most came up, but only a a few blossoms and only 1 seed pod.
help needed.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Debi, if all the perennials survived every year, how in the world would we ever get to try new ones? *giggle At least, that is how I get over my grief at losing some of my beloved plants every year.

Sweet peas should thrive for you. I grow mine in my veggie garden that has very deep rich soil, and they love it. But they hate the hot summer, and mine usually die by early July.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i best be thinking about getting outside and putting in those sweet pea seeds. thanks lupine

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

My sweet peas died. Waaahhhhh

Our weather this month has been one day in the 60's, next day in the 20's. Snow, sleet, rain, then warm for a few days.

My sweet peas didn't make it. :`(

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

sorry lupinelover....:'(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.