Tilling... Do I remove the grass first?

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Recently, I purchased a little Troy-bilt "Tuffy" tiller. Never having used a tiller, and believing the advertisements, I trotted it out to the front lawn, intending to create small gardening strips on either side of the front walkway.

I erroneously thought that one simply pressed a button to start the machine and then happily (and effortlessly) tilled away to create beautiful garden beds. What a dummy! LOL.

When they say, "two-finger operation," they must mean that you can do that if the ground has been previously tilled.

Trying to till up the grass was a man's job, so I called in DH for reinforcements. The city-boy doesn't know any more about tilling than I do, and even he had a rough time of it.

Should we have tried to remove the grass before attempting to till?

And, if so, is there a tool that helps to remove the top layer of grass on a lawn?

I could use some help. I'm in the dark here. Thanks!

Jean

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!