Tree Peonies

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

I planted a tree peony three years ago, and last year it formed two nice buds, but they withered and died before they could bloom. I'm thinking it may be too wet where this plant is located, and I know they do not like to be moved so I'm in a quandry about the best way to proceed. I wonder if anyone has had success with these plants and might shed some light on my problem.

You are right. Once established they don't like to be moved. But if it's not happy where it is, I would considering moving it when/while? it is dormant.
Do you happen to know what variety it is? When it comes to peonies, I get nosy. Also, I am establishing a new garden (moved last summer) and will be planning a few judicious purchases of my favorite (and pricey) flowers.

Sheila

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Me too! I would really like to get a tree peony. I just read a whole chapter on them. I'll reread and see if she has any answers for you. :) later....

ok, it's later...
set out in med Sept., your aim should be to plant it one month before the first frost; full sun used to be considered essential for flowering but some are doing even better in partial shade, especially an evergreen shield behind them to protect from the wind and winter weather.
Dig deeply; stiff heavy soil is an asset; don't cut back top growth unless it gets too tall, like 7-8 feet; she writes about the care of them more in the herbaceous peony chapter and says to treat tree peonies the same. I posted that under the "bud don't open" thread. She also goes into different types, etc. so let me know if you wanna read more! Hope this helps, Laura

This message was edited Mar 8, 2004 7:33 AM

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Depends on if its a chinese peony or a japanese peony...The Japanese tree peony is identical to the Chinese tree peony except that they(the japanese peony) have been grafted on herbaceous peony roots rather that grown on their own root stock. The japanese tree peony needs to have the graft planted 4-5 inches below the soil surface...The chinese tree peony needs to have the crown, which is where all the roots meet, planted 3/4 inch below the surface. Also, if it gets too hot in your area (Tn) you probably should plant it in a semi-shaded spot.... Hope this helps! Bev

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks to all for the info. I have a Chinese tree peony, and it was planted as you suggested Bev, and I'm betting the heat here in TN probably does have an effect on it. I have planted another large airy type shrub near it in the last year, so this year it may give it dappled shade. I just came in from outside in my garden (It's about 45 degrees and sunny here today.), and I say that it has already started leafing out and appears to have some large buds. So I'll keep hoping!!!

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

my first tree peony- a friend brought a bouquet to work and I was the only person who told her how BEAUTIFUL they were- a few weeks later she called me and said she had one she needed to move and asked if I wanted it- couldn't get there fast enough to dig it up and take it home.The peony and I sent her a thank you card and picture of it blooming in it's new home the next year-she got a kick out of that! I think of Helen every year when I see those fuschia blooms!

Thumbnail by mwhit
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

When a plant is given to you by someone special, you're reminded of that person everytime you see it. It's a gift of memories....It's great! Bev

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.