Where are the seeds?

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

Where are the seeds?

Thumbnail by Melba_Ga
Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

Another view, can't find seeds!

Thumbnail by Melba_Ga
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

They will form pods with peas in them that will dry a little more flat than round, but those pods are usually four inches long. Could be you don't have the right critter there to pollinate them. It is the snail vine, isn't it? If not, ignore what I said above. LOL!!!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I have had this vine for 3 yrs now and have only had a few seed pods form so far. The pods like to hide behind the foliage, so you really have to look hard. Last time I found a pod, was when I was trimming it up and I almost threw the pod in the compost pile. The pods look exactly like Brugie mentioned above.

I have given away in trades all the seeds I have had, but hopefully I will find more this year.

Donna

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Brugie,& Donna! Guess I will keep looking!
Brugie, What kind of Critter?

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Ants pollinate these. Be sure not to kill ALL your ant piles, especially if there are some close to this plant. It is the really tiny ant you want, not the acrobat, fire, or other ant. Just the really tiny brown, and tiny black ants...
Look for seed pods when the flowers disappear. When a snail bloom gets pollinated, you can tell. It looks like it "spills its guts out". The coil of the flower, uncoils, and hangs. The flower turns orang-ish and when the flower drops, a thin green pea will protrude and start to grow.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh goodness gracious my neighbors think that I am nuts out in the front under the arch with my head in this vine looking for seeds! HeeHee!

Could someone post a picture when they find one?

Maybe if you ever in LBC you could point one out for me SoCal!

Daisy,

I would be glad to if we could find one.

We are so darned close and just have to get together. I'll email you.

Donna

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I think I saw a pod forming the other day. Wondered why ants were all over my plant! I'll go check and take a picture if one is forming.

Well you won't believe what I saw on my snail vine yesterday? I was out doing some deadheading and I was right in front of the snail vine. I just happened to look up and couldn't believe my eyes, seed pods looking straight at me. I then started looking for more, and sure enough there were 6 pods that I could see without even moving any leaves. It must be time for them to come out now. I went out this morning and marked the pods so I can keep an eye out for them and also took some pictures so you can see what they look like.

This first picture is 3 of them close together. See where I have marked them with a white twist tie.
Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal

Here is a close up of a seed pod. I will let these get nice and brown and then will use them for trading.

Thumbnail by SoCal
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

That is so cool! They don't look anything like I expected so I am going out to look again.

Thanks!! & We'll talk soon!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

My flowers are covered in ants right now.

Is this a big problem if there are too many (and how many ants are too many LOL)?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.