Vines and Rodents

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7a)

We are planting morning glories, and will trying moonvines also. Going to try Sweetpeas too! Anyone know how rabbits like them? Our jasmine got hit by the rabbits last year, but look like they will come back. Usually, we have hanging vines and flowers since we live on 3 acres, and rabbits rule most of the time. We hate to have to screen everything in like we do our tomatoes. Any ideas on repellents? Not necessarily poisons (we have 2 terriers), but is there such thing as a rabbit....."scarecrow" of sorts? Thanks!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

morning glories are poisionous to most animals.

check you local nursery for pet away or deer away. something like that. usually these deter more than one animal away from your stuff.

i know what you mean about screening everything. but look at your nursery. they usually have a deternt for animals.

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm pretty sure rabbits will love the sweet peas.

Also, if you live in a hot part of New Mexico, it may be close to too late to start them. It might be OK, if you put them in a cool sheltered location. I don't think most of the garden type sweet peas really enjoy hot and dry. Check for varieties that are specifically described as being tolerant of heat. Depending on how cold it gets there, you may have better luck starting them in October, for early spring blooms or January, for late spring bloom.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the feedback. We are in the southern part of the state of New Mexico, and yes, it does get very hot. We have an area up next to our pump house that gets morning sun but not alot of the early and late afternoon sun so we are going to try the Sweetpeas on a trellis there. Yesterday we planted some Morning Glories and this morning it seems like something ate the tops off of them (they were about 5 inches tall). So, today we built a protection curtain of burlap. Hopefully it will do the trick until the MGs start going up the chain link fence. We will be planting our Moonflowers(vines) in the next couple weeks. Hopefully, they will take to the terrain and rabbits.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.