I need a fast growing windbreak

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Any ideas what trees to plant I put in 100 white pine and 100 white spruce seedlings. But it will be years before they do me any good. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Jody

Greenville, SC(Zone 7b)

I have a Burgess seed and Plant cataloge and they have several trees/shrubs that grow quickly for a wind break.

Hybrid willow (Salix Hybrid) zone 3-8 14-20 ft the first year
Canadian Hemlock 1-3feet a year
Siberian Elm 45 ft or more grows very quickly
Washington Hawthorn grows 25- 30 ft tall
Hybrid Poplar grows quickly good for snow and wind fences.

I dont know about any of these personaly I was just typing what I saw in the catalog. Burgess is really cheap too.

I can't find a website but their phone # is 1-309-662-7761
They have a showroom in Bloomington, IL. Everything in the cataloge is available in the showroom. I dont know how far you are from here. I hope this is some help.

Rhonda

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Rhonda, thanks for the information I do have a burgess catalog and I live in Illinois,too. So they wouldn't have to ship them far. LOL Thanks, Jody

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Check out Musser Forests - http://www.musserforests.com. Huge selection of fast growing evergreen wind breaks at very inexpensive prices. Also check with your agricultural extension agent. They normally sell large lots of seedlings at very inexpensive prices.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Copperbaron

midwest, IL(Zone 5b)

JodyC I bought from botanyshop.com. very happy with trees and prices.If you want to hear more on the ones I got just e-mail me. Good Luck

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Jody, I hope you don't plant the Hyb. Poplar. I planted 35 of them for a windbreak about 5 years ago. The worst thing I ever did. Their roots spread more than 100 feet and thick as hair. Couldn't grow anything near them. I had a couple of fellows come in with chainsaws and a shreader in Sept. of 2001. The trunks were anywhere from 8" to 10". They cut down and shredded all 35 of the poplars. I had them pile the shreds at the back of my land, made two large piles. One pile has been pretty much used up. I have fought the roots constantly since they were cut down. I do hope not to see too many signs of growth this spring. Donna

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the information about the poplars. Mom put 8 of them in a few years ago, they are now 25-30 feet tall and it does give her afternoon shade on the house, saves electricity.
I have plenty of room here for hundred foot roots. I have 12 acres of woods the rest was a cornfield when Mom bought it, I begged her. LOL. All I have along the west side of the property is pasture.
At least by the time these need cut down, the evergreens should be big enough to help. Across the road is a field that is wide open for about 5 miles to the next tree line. So any windblock would be welcomed. LOL. Thanks, Jody
Besides I'd have some extra firewood to heat my soon to be greenhouse ( pipedream) .

Wadena, MN(Zone 3b)

European Larch grows amazingly,
Hybrid poplar is fast,
Almost any willow ( tree forms )
but, white pine will grow 3', and more, each year after age 4 or 5

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Poplars are definitely the way to go if you need a fast windbreak. I've grown up around wheat farms and that is what they use. They are VERY fast growers. After your pines grow up you can get rid of the poplars if you want. They aren't ugly, but they will look like a big tall green fence.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for all the wonderful information. I'm still not sure what I will put there for a fast wind break. I had better hurry, this is the best time to be planting trees in my area. Thanks, Jody

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.