New virus - AVG does not detect

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Today I received an e-mail from the listowner of a mailing list I subscribe to. It looked like a warning saying my account had been suspended due to unauthorized access to it. The e-mail contained an attachment in the form of a ZIP file, and instructions to enter a supplied password.

I did not open the attachment, but wrote to the sender to ask if she did, indeed, the e-mail and to tell her I do not open unannounced attachments from anyone.

A little later, the listowner sent out a notice to the members letting them know the e-mail was due to a virus - that she did not send it knowingly. She supplied the following link from Symantec:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.beagle.j@mm.html

I updated my virus definitions manually. Later this evening, I received a second infected e-mail from a different source. It had the same type of format as the first. AVG still did not catch it.

Just a heads-up, DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS without thoroughly checking to make sure they are legitimate and were purposefully sent by the return addressee.

The good news is, I am not infected by this virus. The bad news is, AVG would not have known had I double-clicked the attachment. This kind of thing can happen NOMATTER what antivirus program you use; it just so happened it is one AVG did not have on its definitions list yet.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2004 10:53 PM

This thread has 74 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!