share your peony pics

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Here's a picture for you! How about dozens of peonies drying! ;o) Each year I have to cut and dry many dozens of peonies to use in our local Fair's dried flower arrangements. This year I cut and dried over 32 dozen peonies - all volunteered from my garden and others around my neighborhood, plus a local nursery.

Most of the cultivars we use are Kansas, Karl Rosenfeld, Sarah Bernhardt and other similar doubles. I've found that (at least here) whites don't dry well unless it's a dry year, and you have to be very careful with the Sarah Bernhardt to make sure they dry in air conditioning or a cooler location , otherwise they turn too brown. But the reds and hot pinks are unbelieveable!

If anyone's interested in learning how to dry these, you just cut them (leave about a 4" stem) and hang upsidedown to dry in a warm, dark place like a garage. I poke a 22 gauge wire through the peony head, close to but not through the center (too tough), bend the top of the wire and bring it back down through the body of the peony, then hang it upside down by the wire. This gives you a good "stem" for arranging.

Thumbnail by lmelling
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Welcome, Imelling! and those peonies are absolutely gorgeous!! My MIL used to dry a lot of them - they look like roses, I think.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have never heard of drying them. I hope to try it this Spring.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks Kooger, I should have joined this forum long ago... This is great!

bluegrass425 - they're really easy to dry, but make sure they are just fully open. If you pick them when they're not quite open they dry small, and if you cut them too late, they'll fall apart easy after they're dry. I basically learned by doing and making mistakes. After doing it so many years now, I can pretty much tell just by the look if they're ready.

I didn't know if I would be allowed to post pictures of a peony arrangement here, but I left one up on our dried flower booth web page if you'd like to see it - it's what I call a "fiesta" style arrangement (because it's so colorful) and it had about 16 or 18 peonies in it along with hydrangea - both dyed and natural, along with a bunch of other florals. A woman from Long Island bought it at the Fair.
http://www.ehcc.clarityconnect.com/flowers.html

Peonies are terribly expensive if you buy them dried, so to be able to afford to use them we have to do our own harvesting and drying.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

You can certainly post an arrangement here - just can't sell it here. :) Love to see more of your work!

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Here's one you might like. It has some deep red peonies - probably the Kansas variety that we cut at our local nursery - he's wonderful to us. He's got about 15 old bushes that are there for show and he lets us come and cut what we want. This basket sold at this year's fair.

Thumbnail by lmelling
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

That is just gorgeous!

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I kind of liked that one myself as well! ;o) Of course, after having my house look like a florists shop all summer, it's kind of nice to get all the arrangements out of here in September and get back to normal. I usually have to make about 50 arrangements/ wreaths to sell at the fair (our fair is how we keep our community center running). I make or update a few around my house every fall but I'm usually pretty burned out on doing arrangements by then, until next summer!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

My first peony "Green Lotus". Planted it last fall and must of done something right as I had a single bloom this spring.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

ok.. first attempt at picture attachment failed
here's
Green Lotus (in smal jpg format)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Long Beach, MS(Zone 8b)

That is sooo beautiful. I am green with envy!

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Wanda
Do you know the name of the Peonies in the picture you posted Mar.26./04 4:40pm. I'm looking for the name of mine. Very old, and many blooms. They look very similar to yours. I got this name from some research, Amabilis (calot 1856)??

Thumbnail by JoSnoop
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Close up pic.
J

This message was edited Dec 31, 2004 10:13 PM

Thumbnail by JoSnoop
Corte Madera, CA

These are gorgeous BLOOMS!

Gee, I got some single peonies "Doreen" at Costco over the weekend and PLANTED them because they already have growth. Did I do a very wrong thing? The packet didn't say a date when to...I thought they're available because it's the right TIME.

Please advise and keep those pictures coming.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I don't know Moon, I only know that in my zone 5 that they do best planted in the fall. (if ever divided or moved, fall also) Someone in a warmer climate said they were keeping theirs in the refrigerator until spring.

I don't think I ever seen "Doreen" , I'll have to look that one up.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

A big 'hearty' welcome to DG MoonGlow AND JoSnoop!!

.. Love that big bush of Peony blossoms JoSnoop! ..

Yours, looks to be one of the very same couple of bushes/blooms I have also. The color, the fullness of the bloom, and the smaller stems that branch off also .. But, regrettably, I've no idea of their name either!!
I'll find my pics and post them here soon, also ...

ALL of these Peonies are amazingly beautiful !!

- Magpye

Corte Madera, CA

Kathy, thanks. It's refrigerator cold here this part of California =). I hope that works. Maybe a peony-expert will come to the rescue.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

The names of these are unknown to me .. for the majority of them I've dug and transplanted, from old home places near us .. and have purchased a few unmarked reduced gallon pots. Divided them immediately, and put 'em in the ground, and haven't stopped since ... (wellll, except fer winter, of course!) .. lol ..

- Magpye

Peony Pic .. #1 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Peony Pic .. #2 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
Corte Madera, CA

Magpye, thank you for the warm welcome! Crossing my fingers that it's cold enough for peonies to grow here.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Peony Pic .. #3 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

;-) Moonglow ... I'll cross mine fer ye too! .. hee

Wanted to show my deep pink blooms, that look like JoSnoops bush .. but, I reckon I'm gonna have to go dig around a bit .. to find my other Peony pics. Oh well ...

LOL

- Magpye

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

More!!!!! I love peonies. Wish I had more. I have the unusual ones above. But, I think I have a bunch of those big pinks, too. I found them all around the property not blooming because they were planted in the shade. I put them in more sun all around a square area of my barns and a few bloomed last year but I forgot to take photos. Hope all of them produce like yours, JoSnoop.

I bought Coral Charm last year! Can't wait for that one, too.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm really happy to find other peony lovers to oooo and ahhh with. I was feeling peony love lonely here for a bit.

Corte Madera, CA

it's so easy to fall in love with them, kathy. they are BREATHTAKING!

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

I just found this thread- and am a new member- but am definitely a peony fan. The sad thing for us in NH is that there are almost 4 more months of peony dreaming left- today it's about 2degrees F....Sometimes when I need a fix I browse some peony nursery sites--my kids think I'm nuts--my husband too, for that matter--but some of the pictures are so amazing--Song Sparrow nursery is a nice one- I also particularly like Hollingsworth Peonies because the owner is so considerate and gives a lot of information about his plants, which ones work best for garden, don't flop in the rain, which need staking etc. But before I write a book here- hello to everyone, I look forward to spring, and I love seing people's pictures and comments- sarah

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Sarah .. a big 'hearty' welcome to DG !!! ...

I'm a relatively new member of DG myself, and am a Peony gardener (green) 'rookie'!
But am learnin' more about the Peonies every day. Now, if I can get my wee brain to retain the info a lil longer .. hee ..

Will be lookin' forward to seeing more posts and some pics of any/all of your Peonies soon also!

And, thank you, for the name-drop .. of another two plant nurseries! Gonna check to see if [they're] on-line also ...

- Magpye

Corte Madera, CA

sarah, welcome to dg! i just joined last month...DGrs are the warmest, most welcoming people. you'll love it here.

hi, magpye! i don't have pics to share yet. but i got some more peonies from costco!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Howdy .. right backatcha moonglow .. and g'mornin'! ... Moonglow, now are ye gonna keep us in 'suspense' a spell (heehee).. or, are ye gonna break out and tell us what all and how many of the Peonies you fetched ? .. (am I hinting 'faintly' enuff? hee) .. * grinnin *

And, I'll bet .. that all of us'll be keepin' a look-out .. fer when you do get ready to post a few shots of any of your peonies tho' ...

There is such a bounty of beauties, that folks have posted .. here, and in the PlantFiles! And those bi-colors, are ... ahhh ... gracious me, jes simply, most gorgeous ... (* droolin' * )

It'd be my 'luck' .. the moment I bought anything that I truly wanted 'baaddd' enuff - that my wee lil lite green thumb - would turn woody brown .. then, up and completely fail !! I seem to fair better at diggin' the already long established Peonies or those that are rag'd and damaged and are at clearance prices .. or, 'snatched' from ol abandoned home places!

One of my dreams tho' .. is, to be able to run across a proverbial treasure of the 'discarded' Peonies, in a garden center dumpster or two. And, then .. I'm gonna dive in and dig and salvage to my hearts content - or, my truck's filled to capacity, one! .. lol ..

Sure do need a tad plenty more of 'eye candy' Peony pics here tho' ...

- Magpye

Corte Madera, CA

magpye, i would fill up my truck, too, but had to think of how many beds i can get ready!

2 sarah b.
2 felix c.
1 festiva maxima
2 karl r.
2 monsieur jules elie
2 madame emile debatene

when i fall in love, i fall HARD. last weekend, i planted 6 doreens.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Welllllll .. ya greedy ol heifer you ... hee ...
( * only teasin' you moonglow .. only teasin'! * )

Wow!! Sure nuff .. About sacked their inventory, didn'tja!?! (hee) .. And, it's jes a wonder ya didn't have a rump-bump-bruiser, when you 'fell' !! .. LOL .. Mitey mitey proud for ya Moonglow!

The only thing I need to do now, is .. go research that list of the Peony goodies of yours .. to 'see' what the blossoms'll look like .. come time!

Happy planning and planting !!

- Magpye

Corte Madera, CA

i know, i know, magpye. even hubby was smiling and just happy for me and my new hobby. from what i learned from our peony support group, lol, i'm getting a good price at costco. a box is only $8.79 with 3 or 4 root divisions. listed at 2-3 eyes, but actually has 3 or more.

we're not getting rain this weekend, so you know i'll be out gardening.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

It is really difficult to look at 81 forums, so this is the first time for me to scan the Peony forum. Here are a couple of pictures of mine, taken before i had a digital cameral. The lower one is Red Charm, the top one is of a couple of the tree peonies, and for some reason I neglected to write down the peony names and locations when I did the garden plan and the labels have faded so I don't know the tree peony names. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive

Rutholive,
I have terrible luck getting the tree peonies to bloom. I ended up giving 2 away and they bloomed nicely for my friend. Do you fertilize yours and with what?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks everyone for posting your pictures. Breathtaking and even more exciting because they are so rare here. Jealousy is raising it's ugly head here.

And moonglow - the urge is strong. I bought a single white last year when it was in bloom. I'll have to see if it comes back. I have a friend with one that blooms well - Sometimes you just have to see what happens. A good thing though is to go to your nursery and find out what kind of cultivars they carry. If it's a good nursery, they will carry cultivars that work better in warm places. Then you can go to the discount store and feel fine. The only problem is getting out of the nursery without buying something at retail!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Boojum... I've been eyeing that Coral Charm for awhile now, make sure you post us some pictures of that beauty when she blooms.

Magpye... those peonies are beautiful, love that number 2!

Welcom sjms.. you'll love it here, But fair warning.. when you find other people with flower enthusiasm, it brings yours out even more! :)

I would get so totally excited when the peonies came out, I'd call my brother and sisters and tell them what I found and they'd just fluff it off with "oh really, I don't need any". I always would think, WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??? ha ha ha

The other thing people say is "Why grow peonies? The flowers don't last." Well, if they were paying attention, they would realize that a person can't live without peonies, no matter how long they bloom! They also add structure my garden all season long with and without their blooms.

Kathy, I invite people for all my flowers-I call them and leave messages on voice mail like-"Peony time, come on over even if I'm not here!" "Japanese irises are in peak", "Roses are amazing now", "Time to come to Hemerocallis Palace" (little did I know when I named this place that, that I would buy 50 more to deadhead daily from June to September!). I think 3 people came last year! But, the absolute best way to get people to share my enthusiasm is to invite them for dinner or lunch. Casually mention bringing a camera. Then watch their faces as they "discover" your yard ("Wow, what are those FLOWERS!!!??" they say).

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thats what I hear alot boojum.. 'the flowers don't last long enough' which I retort.. you need different peonies with different bloom times to extend that. What can I get ya? LOL My love for peonies goes back to my childhood, its one flower I distinctively remember in our yard, along with the old fashion red blaze climbing roses, and my grandmothers four oclocks. Any of these flowers bring back nice memories.

Corte Madera, CA

happy saturday! it's sunny here and i'm out of potting soil again? i have to adjust my DOSAGE, tee-hee.

boojum, that's a great idea. lunch or dinner parties when flowers bloom. looking forward to that kind of thing. i have a long way to go though....

have a great day everyone!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

magpye, love the second picture! here's is one my favorite, sorbet.

Thumbnail by daylily970

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.