suckers on bradford pear

Greenville, SC(Zone 7b)

I have suckers that come from the roots of my Bradford Pear. I normally just cut them at ground level. Is there a way to root these suckers?
Any info would be helpfull.
Thank you

After contacting our local nursery about your question, this is the reply that I received back.

Pears are propagated by seed, grafting or budding. Cuttings can be done – it is just difficult.

ruth kinler

redenta's garden shops

p 817. 469. 6786

f 817. 469. 8344

ruth@redentas.com

www.redentas.com

Greenville, SC(Zone 7b)

Thank you for the info. I think I will just cut them. After it bloomed this spring I remembered how stinky a tree it is and decided I didn't want anymore of them. lol

Rhonda

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Rhonda,
I have the Callery pear, and I know what you mean about the smell. It is like the septic tank has backed up, isn't it? But it really is such a beautiful tree & the smell is short-lived (thank goodness) that it can be overlooked. Here at our house we privately call the tree "the dog poo tree", sure hope that does not pop out someday when asked what the tree is! LOLOLOL

I am not sure about Bradford, but mine gets little tiny fruits that look like peas that start out green & by winter are black. The birds gourge themselves on them. If you take some of those mushy black fruits & squeeze, there are about 2 seeds in each one & they start really easily. (that info is for later when the smell is gone & your appreciation for the tree returns. harhar )
Donna

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Stinky? I have two Bradfords and have never noticed an odor -- but they are only a few years old and have not yet produced any blossoms. Is it the blossoms that smell badly?

Greenville, SC(Zone 7b)

Just wait until it blossoms. We call it the fish tree. But Donna is right the smell is short lived. It is a fast grower too. In the last 3 years the tree has grown huge. Warning do not try to put lights on it at christmas. It also has 1 inch spikes on the branches in the winter. lol. These later become flower buds in the spring.
Rhonda

Huntington, IN(Zone 5b)

I am curious..We have two pear trees that blossom every year.They don't stink in fact the flowers smell good. There are some babies around I guess if you say they have 1 inch thorns..are these the babies? because I have been chopping them down? My husband and I could'nt figure out what they were.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I took five or six pear tree limbs and stuck them in the ground a month or so ago. They are doing wonderfully- they are as tall as me too. Did I get lucky? LOL. Cause I do not baby them. Not sure what kind they are- but the mummy tree is like- 70 years old or older.

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

About a week ago, I cut a big ol' sucker off the Bradford pear and stuck it in the mud. Although I watered it, the leaves looked a little wilted. It looks as if it will recover though. I hope it "takes" like Crimson's did.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Loui-
My limbs had buds on them- no "formed" leaves. I think it makes rooting easier this way. A couple buds at the very top died off- but not many.

Shade seems to really help when rooting things like this.
Hope yours takes off!! Jocelyn. :D

Leakesville, MS(Zone 8b)

Willowsrain, the suckers that you probably have are from the root stock that the tree was grafted to and you do need to keep them pulled off to keep the tree from reverting back to the root stock. The root stock is a thorny tree, don't know the name of it. Notice that the suckers are below a noticable grafting point.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.