seedlings taking off!!!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, spring is just around the corner and my seedlings are taking off, how about yours. Here is ipomoea tuberosa.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

And here is another vine seedling.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

And one more.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Mesilla Park, NM

I am right behind you, also started the cup&saucer vine. It will certainly be a VINE Year, just like you said.. They sure do look good when can you put them into the ground or outside in your area?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lisa, those look great! Have you started any of the seeds I sent you, and if so, email and let me know how they are doing.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

mine are too!! i love it-- this is the first year i have 'knowledgably' (or maybe i should say 'not completely ignorantly' haha) started seeds. and my vines are just taking off much better than anything else i've started.
i have some cardinal climber, scarlet bean runner, hyacinth bean, and i am just so thrilled with how fast they're growing!! they have definitely given me a sense of accomplishment. i'll try to get some pictures soon :)

I have three yellow orchid vine (Mascagnia macroptera) seeds up. They are now about 4" tall. I started them by soaking for a week, then planting in a mix of sand and Promix, and placing them on a heat source. When they had their first set of true leaves, I placed them in a north window, where they are well on their way. I am SO EXCITED - have lusted after this vine for years.

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

So where do you all get your vine seed, especially the unusual ones? :)

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I get mine from Select Seeds mainly, that seems to be where a lot of them are from...

Mesilla Park, NM

I trade like crazy on the seed trading forums and buy some .. there are quite a few at walmart in seed packets now, (cup & saucer vine, black eyed susan, moonflower vine and a couple of others in the MG group). Tompson and Morgan, Parks, got some chocolate vine this year and some others that I have to find now that I am thinking about it. Some you can't buy, or find a place that carries them. So trading is working out well in that case. There are so many different varieties. You never know who may have them, so the seed exchange forum comes in so handy.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Update on the hawaiin woodrose vine. Look how it grows!!!

Thumbnail by rylaff
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I traded for five cup and saucer seeds. Should I start them or direct sow later in zone 6?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I started mine inside just because I was going nuts not gardening outside. My cup and saucer is growing fast. I hope to get it outside soon.

Lisa, are you sure those aren't vining Cannabis? LOL They look GREAT!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

What is 'Promix' and where do you get it?

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, here's mine..Hawiian Woodrose,

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

one more, moved it to see it better..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh Gourd, yours look great. Yours have surpassed mine. I hope to move mine outside soon.

Mesilla Park, NM

I am so afraid that we will still get a frost here, so it is hidden inbetween other stuff.. Here is a Love in a Puff, also inside till it warms up some.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

That looks great!!! Did you start that from seed? I have some bananas that are just now erupting from seed. Also some jacaranda, pinapple lily, edible hibiscus, etc.

Mesilla Park, NM

Yes, that is from seed, also the ones I had outside came back here, I did not know they could be perrenial and so did the purple hyacinth bean vine (both came back). So, I had already started some more seeds. Where can you get banana seeds, I never have seen them, or, is the banana the seed?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Heck if I know. Some banana seeds are larger then others. These are musa ensete (absynnian banana). The seeds are the size of marbles. This is exciting!!! I have never grown a banana from a seed before. Anyway, I have 100% germination on the ensetes!!!! I got them from this place, which has some really wild seeds.
http://www.banana-tree.com/

Thumbnail by rylaff
Mesilla Park, NM

Wow, this site is great.. the seeds are all very reasonably priced.. They have some things I want there.. have to go back and look at their whole list.

You did great with that banana.. looking good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.