Knoxville, TN(Zone 6a)

I have a very small vegetable garden and am trying to make it as organic as I can, but I'm really having trouble keeping bugs off of my beans and a few other things. What can I spray on them? I just bought some organic hot peppers and I was going to grind them up and dilute with water and try spraying that on them. Is that going to work? HELP.

New Paris, OH

peace,

Bugs are a part of the organic garden and something you will have to get used to. Look and see if thre bugs are actually eating your plants. over 90% of all insects are beneficial and will help you control the pest bugs.

It takes years to achieve a good balance in your garden and until that happens you will have some problems. Look at them as learning exp. Anything good is worth working for and a good garden takes a lot of time and work.

Hand picking your bugs will be far more effective than a hot pepper spray and easier to do as when you spray you have to coat all surfaces not just the tops of the leaves.

At any rate, to make Hot pepper spray crush about 5 peppers into a quart of water and let that sit for about 5 days. strain the water to get rid of the pepper debris and store the solution in the fridge. Mix 1 tbl of the solution to a quart of water and spray on plants. Repeat after a rain and at least weekly for it to be effective.
You can make a good garlic spray the same way (only using garlic) and you mix the two together.

Relax and have fun and don't mind the holes in the plants

Check out this link. Garrett has been writing a column for the Dallas News for years now and I have found he has good advice. What ohiorganic says is true...the healthier the soil, the healthier the plant. http://www.dirtdoctor.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.