Bolivian Nasturtium (Tropaeolum tricolor)

Osaka, Japan(Zone 9b)

Bolivian Nasturtium
Tropaeolum tricolor

Thumbnail by DORA777
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Wow! That's a beauty!

Shreveport, LA

My name is Jenny and I was born in Bolivia I've never seen this plant but I was very young when I left there. Please tell me more about it! Thanks Jenny Kelley

Osaka, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi, poppysue. Thank you for your comment.
Hi, Jenny! I live in Japan and Bolivia is one of the countries where I'd like to vist to see flowers. Because it's one of homes of the Tropaeolum family.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

That is a very beautiful plant. Does it make seeds? I would like to try it.

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 10a)

THE BOLIVIAN NASTURTIUM IS BEAUTIFUL.DO YOU HAVE SEEDS IHAVE CANDLE STICK TO TRADE.IF INTERESTED E MAIL ME.HAPPY GARDENING .....KEEP

Blenheim, New Zealand

Hi DORA777 that vine is beautiful, I have two pics, of two vines (taken at a friends place) I now think one is the same as your Tropaeolum tricolor , the other you may be able to help identify, as I see you have other beautiful Tropaeolums. If I put them in the Identification forum, maybe you could look in .thanks Boots

Osaka, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi, keep. Sorry, I don't have any seed of T. tricolor. I've grown these plants for several years but I couldn't get any seeds. I don't know the reason.

Hi, bootandall. Thank you for teaching me the Identification forum. I'm glad to see you there.

Blenheim, New Zealand

Hope your Tropaeolum are going through your winter well , looking forward to seeing your pics when it is winter here

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I would like to find a source for the plant or seeds. It is very unsual and showy. I like it very much.

Love the big, showy and unusual flowers on this plant.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Good Afternoon All,

I am interested in this plant.

Is it loose all it's leaves and look silly at any time of the year?

Hap

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Hello Hap!

This Tropaeolum develops a round tuber. After blooming, the foliage dies and you stop watering the plant. Dry foliage is removed and pot can be stored only to be taken out in Autumn, when you start to water it again (or rain does the job for you).

Tropaeolum tricolorum is a Chilean native plant that grows mainly in a zone 9b (some colder areas as well), where seeds are best sown in Autumn. In the wild they use to grow under shrubs they can climb on, or on fences that serve their habit.

Maybe in your climate they remain evergreen, I don't know.

Hope this info helps.

Ursula

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Ursula,

You are only a zone away from me: does it stay green all winter for you?

Fancy meeting you here.. LOL

This message was edited Jun 18, 2006 2:48 AM

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

No Hap. The difference, however, is that our climate is extremely dry. That's why I think they 'could' have a different behaviour in FL. For my balconies and in the wild they behave as most bulb plants.

Ursula

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Dora, PF says this plant can reach 3m tall. Did you pinch yours back, or is it just young?

Also can you describe what kind of trellis you have?

Thanks,
Suzy

Macksville, Australia

This is really Beautiful may i also ask about the Blue flower in the photo
Do you have ant details
Regards Joyce

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Suzy, it seems Dora 777 is not active at DG for the time being. Maybe I can answer for her. T. tricolorum reaches 3 or more m height if planted in the ground. The tuber buries very, very deep (no point to dig for one). They seem to grow shorter in pots. My T.t. is in its 3rd year grown from seeds and was re-potted to a 22 deep pot in early/mid summer (it's currently late autumn for us down here). One of the tubers has sprouted really strong and is already measuring over 2'. I have them on my east facing balcony where they get the morning sun.

I don't think Dora pinched them back. I have the same kind trellis which consists of 3 sticks and three different sized rings. You have to guide your climbers to cover them the way Dora's looks.

Joyce, if I am not mistaken, the bluish one is either a Tropaeolum lepidum or a T. hookerianum. Both are Chilean native tubreous Nasturtiums as well. There are pictures and descriptions in our Plant Files for both species, as well as other tuberous Tropaeolums.

Hugs,

Ursula

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.