POTATO VINE Solanum jasminoides

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

I was looking for a vine that is evergreen in my zone(9b). My potato vine did well this winter . I want to put it on the patio overhead . Does it do well in the summer(105f) heat? It will be under shade cloth.I think it will work better then Wisteria, it does flower about 10 months out of the year here.The flowers are nice little white ones and will last better in the heat and cold(28f). Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm in southwest GA, many months of 3 digit temps, and my Potato vine does great in full sun..I would try it.. Mine is so pretty right now, it is just a non stop bloomer.
Larkie

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the post, I'm just getting into vines and climbers, they're fun as well as almost like art. I like the way they can be controlled to aceive different looks. I grow Abutilons and lots of African and Aussie plants.By the way our heat is dry heat, I know that you know the difference being in Ga.Thanks again!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Mesilla Park, NM

Monterey, just wanted to tell you that there is a varigated version of that one that you have.. same flower, only the leaves are varigated. I don't know if cuttings will root, but I did get a couple that were on sale at Lowes. Some of them have flowers it seems almost all year.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I just rooted the variegated one,I was trying to root a sport that was totaly golden...that died but the regular variegated one rooted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.