Peegee Hydranga

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I bought one of these bare root plants today, it is just starting to break dormancy. Our ground is still covered by a couple of feet of snow and we are still having 20 degree nights. Maybe not a wise purchase now, but for less than $4 I never hesitated! So now that I have done it I am wondering about the best way to slow this plant down. I can put it in my basement which is at about 53 degrees for a few weeks and leave it in the peatmoss and plastic, or plant it in a 5 gallon bucket and leave it in the basement. Or put it in my spare referigerator. Our last frost date is usually about June 1 so I don't think I can put it outside for a while. What would you do?

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I've done similar things too. It's hard to pass up a bargin. I'd plant it in a bucket in your basement. It it really is getting leaves I would give it some light (12 hours) even if it is artificial light. In the end it won't be much different than the plants you see in the home improvement store that's fully leafed out when the local plants are still dormant.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Thank you. I could set it out in a few weeks, our snow is going away fast. Now I'm wondering if I did manage to get it planted outside while we are still having freezing nights, would that hurt it? It has no leaves yet, just some buds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.