best raspberry for zone 6

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have terraced some of my steep mountain land and one of the terraces will be designated for raspberries. The space will have some shade but should have enough sunlight to grow the raspberries fine. I have heard a lot about Heritage and it is currently on sale at Wayside Gardens, about 75 miles from me but much hotter down there in the foothills What do you recommend? I hope to find one that bears more than just once in the spring and has lots of flavor! Any advice would be appreciated.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Looks like you're wanting an everbearer. Check with your local extension office for best choices for your climate/soil/location, etc. They usually know lots!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

OK, I did and they mentioned Heritage as one so I got 12 of them on sale at Wayside for 1/2 off. You can only get that special if you have signed up and receive their newsletter.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Good for you! Yum! Yum! for next year! You may want to mulch around them with a thick layer of straw,etc. if you want to keep spreading to a miminum. I didn't do that the first place I had them and ended up with a 8 ft. wide bramble! Not fun to prune out the old canes, that's for sure. I only have room for one bush here and I got one that bears on one year canes so I can chop everything off and start over. I like that!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

It just so happens; I just loaded and I do mean loaded my truck with raspberry cutting and rooted Raspberries yesterday.I ordered them from Gurney's about 5 years ago. I also took a few cuttings from my thornless Blackberries,too.If you are interested in trading something PLMK.Thanks, Jody

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Jody, are those the Doyle blackberries Shoe was mentioning in another thread as being such heavy bearers?

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I think they are Arapaho well it's an Indian tribe name. I'd have to ask my neighbor.They are heavy producers;I have picked enough buckets of them over the last several years.They are very big and taste great.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.