what about plastic for the greenhouse

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

The toughest I can buy at our ridout lumber co. is 6ml clear plastic, what ml do I need to get for my greenhouse.

kathy

Kenbridge, VA(Zone 7b)

Greenhouse plastic comes in 4ml and 6ml but the difference between that and construction grade poly is UV inhibitors.

Mine is 6ml and will last for about 4 yrs. Construction grade plastic will break down in one year.

Steph

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

So your saying the 6ml from the lumber co. isn't strong enough right, it's a diff type? and doesn't let the light in as well as as the non construction grade, I wonder if lowes has the plastic used in greenhouses? i'll have to check, thanks for the help

Bonifay, FL(Zone 8a)

kathy_ann
Don't use the plastic from lowes it will brake down to fast. I tryed it and within 2-3 months the wind broke a hole thru it and striped one side off in raged sheets !!
Greenwood

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I've gotten good prices and great service here:
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/igcusastore/products.asp?dept=1033

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

you ordered your plastic on line, shipping must have killed you?

kathy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

horseshoe do you use the thermal greenhouse film or the 6 ml tube, that 6 ml is highly expensive and the thermal greenhouse film isn't priced that bad. I could afford that. is that good enough to use?

kathy

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

kathy...I use the 6 mil standard stuff. The thermal is more expensive and I don't have the problem of drips from condensation and the other "features"it talks about. The thermal also holds in solar heat more than I care for; here in NC I want my exhaust fans running the least amount of time as possible.

Once the sun is off the greenhouse the propane heater is what heats the house anyway so the thermal really doesn't offer me any benefit.

I don't use the tube plastic either, they don't make them in the size I need. I buy that standard 6 mil, 50ft X 110ft and they cut it in half so it can be shipped via UPS (saving lots of moola) and not have to send it by freight truck ($$).

Hope that helps.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

great, thanks for the help

kathy

Kenbridge, VA(Zone 7b)

Sweetie, instead of ordering it online, check out your phone book or one of a big city near you and look under greenhouse supplies or greenhouse supplies wholesale or nursery supplies wholesale.

You can walk in without a business license and get your plastic without paying shipping. The one I went to doesn't even require a minimum order on walkins.

Steph

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'll do that first, of course,

kathy

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

or call a local grower.
I for instance am always MORE than happy to help out a hobbiest.
I was one too, and ran into the same problems everyone else did. (most notably, getting inferior quality for a jacked up price).

btw, I use Klerks k-50 Clear, 6mm Plastic.

Kenbridge, VA(Zone 7b)

I think that is the same one I am using.

Steph

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Klerks is good so is Armin tuff-light--both cost me about the same

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I"m bumping this back up again, Dh said get the plastic for the greenhouse, and I checked at our local garden nursery, and for 4 ml l yr clear uv treated plastic, it was 45.00 for l0xl00 and l05.00 for 24xl00 I need two sections of plastic, one for the roof and one for the sides, the sides measurements are 8xl00 and the roof is 18x33 (33 feet long, l8 feet wide) I'm thinking this is the size of the roof, I lost the paper dh gave me this morn. I'm just looking on the net for better prices, I'm also considering the 6 ml 4 year stuff, as to the 4 ml l yr stuff. your opinions please on the two again. she can get the 6 ml 4 year stuff, but only in 40xl00 sizes, nothing smaller in width. so I thought I'd check the net for cheaper prices. I checked out the site above that horseshoe gave me before.
I can go this route on the greenhoue mega store.

2 of the l2x55 for 44.00 for the 8xl00. This is for the sides, and it can be pieced.
1 of the l8x55 for 65.00 for the roof.
total of $153.00 plus what ever shipping is

The local garden store gave me a total price of $145.00 for 4 ml l yr greenhouse plastic. that includes the shipping fee I'd be paying her. She told me since this is personal use, that the l yr stuff would last 4 years or so, she said she uses this on her personal greenhouse. I just wanted opinions, don't know if she was trying to get me to get her plastic or serious about it lasting that long. I do want good greenhouse plastic, dont' want a bunch of sweating either. and have no idea if it would do that or not. I do think I want the uv protection on it though. The greenhouse is in direct sun, all day long, no shade ever until dark.

kathy_ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.