I FOUND THIS INTERESTING!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

http://www.mrtomato.com/faq.html

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Kerry see the six week plant out time thats why I figured you are a little early even though thoug you are going to use the WW. I am a couple maybe three miles north of you so Hope I am wrong. Did you get the red ones we talked about? Planted peppers to day. Ernie

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I responded to you about that Ernie. I have it exact for using the Wallo Waters I bought - 5 weeks earlier than normal. :)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Kerry hundred I am two to three hundred miles north of you. Wall of waters or not no way can I get away with planting that early. good luck may 10th is as soon as I would dare. Ernie

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Ernie, I've been growing tomatoes here for years and without the wall of waters have planted them outdoors by Mid-May. I bought the wall-o-waters so I can plant them outdoors 4 to 6 weeks earlier, I have chosen "5" weeks earlier, as the place I plant my tomatoes is up against the house and they tend to stay much warmer there. See, I don't have a big vegetable garden out away from my house. I am confident they will do just fine. What's the point in buying the wall-o-waters if you aren't going to start your maters early?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

None maybe close to the house helps. And being directly down wind of the Fraiser River canyon hurts me luck to you Ernie

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Not only are they close to the house, but the foundation of the house is stone and keeps the area very warm. (very very warm). I started my tomato seeds mid February so that I can transplant them with the wall-o-waters the 2nd week of April, 5 weeks faster than normal, and because of the conditions I know they will be fine. They are also blocked from wind there. Oh yeah, I got the "red" kozy koats (not the actual wall-o-waters) because the red is supposed to be better and stay warmer. I will plant some more seed just in case this fails, in late March. Here - I'll go take a pic of what I am talking about to give you a better idea! :) This spot on the house is the East side, but it gets morning & afternoon sun because we are on a corner lot. The soil has proven very good for tomatoes there.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here is a pic of a Bee Balm and Tomato plant that became "best friends" in this same spot - it sure was pretty!

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Is it flush or raised a bit I can,t really tell from the pic but it looks like it is at least raised a bit which is a plus.

I have some clear plastic row cove that has vent slits in it so you don't have to remove it during the day that woulh work nicly there. Ernie

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

It's a raised bed.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

So much the better on a good sunny day can you measure the soil temp 6 inches down both in the bed and in a like area without grass it may surprise me. My guess is four degrees whats yours? Ernie

This message was edited Feb 22, 2004 6:00 PM

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Lol - I have never gone and measured it! The most I've done is test my soil for pH and nutrients. Would be an interesting experiment, however! What kind of thermometer should I use? Never gone that far in gardening before!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I use a little dial therometer that is about 1 inch in diamenter with a six inch probe. I bought the first one at a green house supply for $8 then bought ten more for presents frome a cooking store going out of business for $1.99 lol last of the red hot spenders. I suspect any old regular one will work as long as it is a tube type and not a spring dial type.

I would not be with out these things in the green house because I don't trust the automatic ones on the heat mat controllers.

Last year I did two plants outside in a 4 inch raised bed with ww and a black mulch and got four degrees difference sunny days inside by the roots and outside in the open. Because you have the house and the foundation heat retention I would guess you will do better than that.

Ernie who better go to work regards

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Karrie it has occurred to me this is our own little chat room no one else finds anything interesting about your link or what we have said lol . Oh thats ok with me Ernie

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Ernie: I find this all very interesting! I check out the tomato forums everyday. I just don't have anything to add! lol
Rhonda

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

This message was edited Mar 9, 2004 11:02 PM

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

This message was edited Mar 3, 2004 11:49 AM

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Mr.Tomato.com, I liked the link a lot, if you find or have any more, please let me know. Thanx, and have a nice day. Danny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.