How do I store bar root trees until sping?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I recieved a few 3-4 foot fruit trees, and am wondering what would be the best way to store them until I can plant them in spring.

Should I just go ahead, and put them in pots with dirt, and keep them inside? Can I put them all in one pot, or should I use seperate pots?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Roots just need to be covered over with dirt, so they don't dry out. Can pot, don't water them too much, can keep in garage or enclosed place. I have hilled them up in the ground with heavy mulch until ground gets warmer.

Are these trees hardy in zone 5?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Gloria!!

Yup they sure are, I got 2 apple trees, 2 cherry, and 2 nectarine. Im tellin ya, these things are amazing! I paid 2.99ea for 2 of them, and 3.99ea for the rest.
I was absolutely thrilled!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Hate to tell you, but DH just cut down two Johnathan and Delicious apple trees and a really nice cherry tree. We have had them over 30 years. I wouldn't let him cut my favorite peach tree down tho'!!!

He is making me more garden for my cannas, bushes and brugs. We have over an acre of ground, nothing needed to be cut down, but he needed something to do that day.
Sigh.........

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Well.. poor poor you Gloria! Only an acre huh? And new beds to boot!!!! ;o)

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Yeh, that's why I didn't say a word when he cut the trees down. All this land/soil, and all for ME! Whooppee...

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

lol I just read the topic.. lol I meant barE... :o) oopsie!

Im anxious to see pics Gloria!!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I knew what you meant, I read "between the lines"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope it's a good one, with many more to come.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.