Ok You guys tell me what this is going to cost?

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/plans/hoop-greenhouse.pdf
About what it will cost Thanks, Jody

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Do you live where no wind ever blows?
We built a similar house a few years ago. It was a real nail biter every day when it would rock back & forth in the wind.
We had to park trucks next to it & tie it to the trucks to keep it from blowing away. We had wood frame ends & doors, but didn't help that much.
Lost some plants when the thing would blow sideways. Those plastic hoops bend wherever they want to.
So in the long haul it will cost you way to much.
Go back through this forum, there have been lots of discussion on home greenhouses. You will find links to many companies selling those items at reasonable prices.
Bernie

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I thought I would drive rebar in the ground about 4 foot to ancor it too.What do you think.I do have a lot of wind an open field across the street about 5 miles across.Thanks, Jody

Kenbridge, VA(Zone 7b)

My nursery's name is Breezy Ridge, with good reason, LOL!

We built our own hoop house. Sorry but adobe wouldn't open the picture (it gets stuck sometimes online).

Ours is 24 x 24x 10H. Wood Front, Wood Back, hoops every 4 ft.

If we had it to do over again we would make it either taller or narrower because of snow loads. The slope was just a little to flat at the top to shed successfully. We had to get out there with a car wash brush and a 15 ft. pole and brush the ice and snow off.

One thing it has going for it that metal pipe doesn't is that it will bend. Looking out the door the first major snow we thought it was doing great because we didn't see much snow.

When it finally looked like it needed some help I went out and was in major shock!!! The whole back side of the roof was bowed down about with about a 3 ft. sag.

Our freind down the road lost her metal pipe greenhouse with much less snowload because it just collapsed.

We put 5 4x4 posts up the center and tied the front and back walls together with 2 x 12's x 2. Laying a 2 x 12 on each side of the 4 x 4 about 8 ft. up from the floor.

We built side rails 2 ft. tall x 24 ft long. The side rails were drilled top and bottom to accept the pipe. We had to put a brace in the center where the two were joined. It is an L bracket that is as tall as the rails and the bottom of the L sticks out 2 ft. from the wall, which is not in the way at all. My benches are taller than that.

Both the front and back wall were reinforced with 2 x4's and the windows and door frame were done just like a house (doubled).

We plumbed a woodburning stove in the front wall. The door is offset from the center. The exhaust fan is in the rear wall up high where the heat is.

The pvc pipe was about 1 1/2 sticks each. We learned the hard way that if you want double layer inflated poly that you need to make the hoops a bit smaller than the wood frame otherwise the pvc ribs will stick up and keep the air from moving to each section.

We thought it was worth it; however, my husbands health is bad and it took us forever because he kept having to stop and rest. If I build another, I will probably have to buy some stupid expensive kit.

Steph

Kenbridge, VA(Zone 7b)

Oops! Forgot to answer the question, ours cost a couple thousand including the stove, the stuff for building benches, the blowers, the inflator, the poly, the landscape fabric under it, some tools, ect.

We shopped around. We used pressure treated timbers but used plain plywood and painted it with outdoor barn paint/stain.

Steph

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.