A Walk in the Florida Scrub

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The FLorida Scrub is a very unique area....and beatiful. Here's a link that describes just what 'scrub' is, much better than I could. http://www.archbold-station.org/discoveringflscrub/intro/intro.html This picture shows one of the paths, we sit along here and wait to see the Scrub Jays.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's another area that has roads cut through it. Although we could see that vehicles do use the road it seemed like it had been some time
Notice the white sand? This is part of the land that was once ancient dunes

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We followed as yet unidentified tracks along the roads. We know this is not a big cat like a panther because of the claw marks. It doesn't seem to be a dog since the bottom pad prints are missing. This creature was heavy too, It left tracks that were almost as deep as mine .
I've sent the pictures to a rehabber/naturalist but haven't heard back from him yet

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is my friend Theresa, she is making noise to attract the jays...that always works. They call to each other so we know when they're getting close.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

All of a sudden, there they are, landing close enough to check us out. This was an unbanded jay but her/his mate had triple bands...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A shy bird, she would sit above and scold til we put peanuts closer to her then swoop! she'd be down and gone...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Her mate on the other hand was very friendly and so incredibly curious...He'd swoosh up thru the Palmettos and land next to us

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here he has lannded on T's leg for a peanut. He would take one and store it back in his throat then wait patiently for another

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The peanut was always taken gently, never snatched from our hand

Thumbnail by Floridian
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Very beautiful birds!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Really enjoyed your beautiful pics, Floridian! Almost felt like I was there with you!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Checking out T's backpack, he was very interested in the tag and chain

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

No fear!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I can't even begin to explain how it felt to have this bird sit on my hand and look at me...nose to beak...but I can tell you it is awesome. I actually set my camera aside to do this...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Shelly, Kooger.
One thing I noticed is that the birds flew low to the ground until swooping up to perch. Over and over I watched the birds fly along the path in the first picture, 12 - 18 inches above the ground.
We found a second pair, both unbanded just before we left. We are still hoping this land will be saved forever. The city/county knows they are there and the city has recently denied build permits to 2 different supermarket chains so there is still hope! We heard this in a neighborhood store when we stopped to get drinks.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Tell you what, Floridian, your photographic essay sent chills down my spine. I'm a real active birder. I've seen Swallow Tailed Kites dance their aerial ballet in Florida; I've watched Jungle Crows open garbage cans in Japan. One time I watched a mature Bald Eagle snatch a freshly caught Rock Ptarmigan from an immature brother/sister on Adak Island, Alaska. I've watched Fairy Terns court on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. I've never seen a Scrub Jay, much less fed one. How I envy you! Can I go birding with you some time?

This message was edited Feb 20, 2004 6:02 AM

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow! Thanks for sharing this!
I've held baby blackbirds and hummers that I have rescued. Even got to rescue a goshawk from my sunporch once, but never a jay. Our western scrub jay is not nearly so trusting.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

TL are your western Jays endangered? They look much like our Scrub Jays, such beautiful birds.
RBB, we are planning a really different type trip back for early March. Can you get away to Florida?? To interact with these birds and realize how terribly endangered they are will bring tears to your eyes...If you want to see a habitat unlike any other in the world come on down...anytime...just jump on 95 heading south :)

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Western scrub is not endangered. There are dozens of them coming to my feeders. In the summer heat they go deeper into the wood, (as do many of the birds) so we may not see them for a few months. I don't blame them. It's pitiful to see a bird pant.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

What a fantastic story and pictures to match! Thanks for the thread Stacey :)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A panting bird truly is pitiful! We see it here sometimes
during the summer
Glad you enjoyed your scrub tour Hilary!
We're going back in a few weeks and this time DH is going. He hasn't been there but after listening to me and seeing the pictures he's looking forward to it!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Floridaian, where is this? Have you been to the Ocala National Forest? Are you coming to visit for the Fl swap?????? Yippeee

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

These pictures were taken in Brevard County. We haven't been in Ocala NF for about 2 years. Maybe a bit longer...
Looks like I'm (we're) going to take Friday afternnoon off and drive up to your place or nearby. Yipee is right. I'll know more as the time gets closer. We're so busy at work right now that even the boss is out on jobsites. It'll sure be great to see you again!!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Great! Come stay with me! You have to go shopping in my yard and I can walk now so come on up!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Looking forward to more photos :)

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9a)

Floridian: What an amazing photo essay. I too felt like I was walking through that magnificant scrub with you. It brought tears of joy and a smile to my face seeing all of the pictures of the Jays, especially the one of the Jay eating from your hand.

Have you sent this photo essay to the city council, county and state? Maybe it would help to make this area a protected habitat?

Thanks so much for sharing.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow, does that happen often? That is *so* cool! I'd be going back everyday to check on him. LOL ;) Hopefully he'll never fly up and land on anyone who'd try to cage him or hurt him.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Bastet, yes we have sent letters and pictures to Brevard County. Protecting this area is certainly being looked at and building permits have been denied.
The whole deal is a double edged sword...if you make people aware then they go into the scrub to 'play' with the birds...if you don't then the scrub is overlooked. According to rehabbers and wildlifers, Brevard County is not known for taking enviromental stands.
Our plan was to go in summer when plants are heat struggling and in early spring because we figure these is are times when food is possibly in shorter supply. We do leave extra peanuts when we leave the area.
It was great fun to watch the jays cache the peanuts...in some very strange places too. They will stick peanuts into crevices in the bark of trees and in the fiber near the boots on palms, in the dead leaves and weeds on the ground.
This area is also being used as a dumping ground for lazy morons that can't be bothered to find a community dump. The only upside to this is the area looks unappealing. It saddens me to find all this mess and wonder when people will learn

Thumbnail by Floridian
Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Bear track? Brown or black bear maybe?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We're hoping so Jenks. It would help our case even though there is no protection for the bears...yet. I always thought bears left more of a footprint, meaning longer so that the whole foot shows, but we were told that bears tend to walk up on their toes and so could leave this type track. I guess I'll write to that rehabber again...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.