Purple Hyacinth Bean (is Perennial here) LabLab

Mesilla Park, NM

Just wanted to let you all know that my Purple Hyacinth bean plants in one of my pots did not die. I pulled all the others out thinking they were annual. I guess in this climate they may live a little longer, mine are coming back and have leaves. Makes me wish that I had not yanked the others out.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Did you save any of the seeds? They are so easy to germinate here. I save them every year and start new babies the next year!

Here are some hiding behind a moonflower!

Thumbnail by Brinda
Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Brinda, They didn't have time to form seeds here, first it was too hot, then the cold got the few pods it did make. I have a friend that lives about 15 miles from me and I gave her some pots with seedlings last year, and hers gave her tons of seeds.. and are also coming back.

this year I started over with more seedlings, hopefully I will get some seeds this season.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I have the same problem. They need such a long growing season to set seed here.
The first year I grew them I had a lot of seed pods form and then the seeds dried and it worked out really well. The second and third season I grew them the seeds didn't have time to mature before the frost hit. I usually have beginners luck and then no luck after that! LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.