Best time to start luffa in zone 6?

Ilsan, South Korea(Zone 6a)

I know luffa has a long growing season and planted mine too late last year to have fruit - I don't want to make the same mistake again this season and am wondering when you guys start your luffa seeds in the colder zones. I am in zone 6, Princeton, NJ.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Elizabeth
pinkangel420

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Elizabeth,

6 weeks before your last frost date, try to start them in jiffy peat pots, the dont like transplanting either.. I grew some three years ago and it did take a long time for the plant to come up, Patience, patience, patience, is what I hear that we have to have with these. Also, I guess the little ants also pollinate these, I did not know that and I was trying to kill them. I just put mine to soak overnight and will start them tomorrow. Only had one grow from that vine that year and none the next two.. so this year, I am hoping for more than one. Hope there is someone out there that has experience with these and can give some tips on growing them.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

NOW! Start them inside now, Elizabeth :) That's what I would do and I'm in zone 5. Good luck!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.