Yellow Tomatoes?

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

I can't eat tomatoes because of the acid in them. Someone suggested that I try yellow tomatoes. I have never heard of them before, and wonder if someone could fill me in as to whether they exist, if they are low acid, and, if so, where I can get some seed. Thanks for the help.

LimeyLisa Kay

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

limeylisakay - was just looking thru the johnnys seeds catalog
and they have a bunch of yellow tomatoes. one is yellow brandywine, also one called taxi, another called orange blossom. they even have yellow cherry tomatoes. also you can go on the internet and type in totally tomatoes and you will get their web site with a lot of yellow ones. hope that helps.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

lisa - forget to say that after you get onto the totally tomatoes web site click onto tomatoes and then click onto goliath tomatoes. they yellow ones may also be listed on the other types of tomatoes they have there. hope im not confusing you.

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Herbie...are they low in acid?

LimeyLisa Kay

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I always heard/read that the white tomatoes were recommended for people who got upset stomachs from tomatoes.

I'd order some seeds of those while you're at it so you can find out for sure.

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks shoe! I would love to eat tomatoes again!

;~D

LimeyLisa Kay

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Do those of you with "anti-tomato" stomachs ever eat cooked tomatoes? Or does it only affect you if you eat them raw? I'm just curious here. Wondered if cooking took out the "acid".

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

As far as I know, it doesn't.

LimeyLisa Kay

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Limey,

It used to be thought that white and yellow tomatoes were low acid, but it's been know for quite a few years that that is not true.

Tests done by the USDA and others have shown little to no difference in acidity levels between different colored varieties.

So what you're probably reacting to with red tomatoes is not acid. YOu are not alone in having that problem with red tomatoes and it's thought that it's other organic molecules in not just red, but other colored varieties as well, that are the culprits.

To check this out I suggest you buy seeds for the variety Jet Star, a red hybrid, which is is one of the best known of the true low acid varieties.

As others have done, it's probably best to just try different varieties to see how you react. If Jet Star works for you then that's good.

if not try some yellows or pinks or whites.

There's maybe 2,000 varieties of heirloom tomatoes available commercially and I'd be glad to name names and suggest seed sources if you wish.

Carolyn

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

I think I will lookup the Jet Star Variety and see how that does for me. Thanks, Carolyn.

LimeyLisa Kay

Cayman Brac, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Carolyn, It would be great of you to list some sources for seeds. I have been using the Tomato Growers website and of course everyone knows Burpee and Parks Seeds. Did you mention something about SSE at one of your posting?? I don't get to check all of the postings since my internet time is limited.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

There are lots of good sources, and some bad ones. (smile)

For heirlooms I think the following are very good and have a large number of varieties to offer:

tomatogrowers.com
sandhillpreservation.com
rareseeds.com

TGS offers about 200 heirloom varieties, Sand Hill about 400 and Baker Creek about 50-60.

Turn around time at Sand Hill is longer than others for reasons you'll know when you go t the somewhat spartan website but you can't beat the prices for the amount of seed you get and their reputation for true varieties is excellent as is also true for TGS and Baker Creek.

With OP seeds there's always the possibility of problems, but some are better than others.

Carolyn

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

I see that they offer four different Cherokee tomatoes, Cherokee (a red) , Cherokee Chocolate, Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf, and Cherokee Purple. I assume that the Cherokee Purple is the traditional variety known for yeild and flavor, but the potato leaf has the most glowing description. Any difference?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

1.Cherokee ( red) is an old OP, non-heirloom

2.Cherokee Purple is the original named by Craig LeHoullier as given to him by John Green of TN

3.Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf is the same as the above, just a leaf mutation from reg to PL which can happen when a variety is heterozygous for that leaf form. Arose in the tomato patch of Jere Gettle.

4.Cherokee Chocolate is a skin mutation that occurred in Craig's garden and is essentially the same as the original except the color of the fruits are mahogany.

5.Cherokee Green; not yet available, and genetics not understood, but arose in the tomato patch of D, Merrell in OK.

That's it, so far. (smile)

Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.