Arilbred Iris Hybrids

Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

The Arilbred iris are a cross between the Tall Bearded Iris and Aril Iris. The hybrids between the two are very unique in shape and color. Please see my tradelist for more pics.

The Arilbreds have been bred to act much like the tallbearded iris but they require slightly drier conditions. The arilbreds go dormant after they bloom. During this dormant period they can be over watered.

Thumbnail by KYBRED
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

very intersting.,

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

I want one so bad...it's gorgeous!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Can they make it thru an Iowa winter?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wow i need some of those!!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Whether or not an arilbred can survive an Iowa winter not only depends on your growing conditions, but also on the type and amount of aril genes in a particular cultivar. As a general rule, quarterbreds (less than 1/2 aril) can be grown like TBs and will usually have a similar survival rate. Halfbreds are a bit more particular about their growing circumstances, and three-quarterbreds can be quite challenging to grow in northern regions. Those with more regelia genes should acclimate better to cold winter areas than those with more oncocyclus genes (the regelias are native to colder regions than the oncos).

I would recommend starting out with quarterbreds in IA, then try a few halfbreds if the quarters work out well. Look for those designated as RB- (quarterbred regelia), OGB- (quarterbred onco/regelia), RB (halfbred regelia), or OGB (halfbred onco/regelia).

Good luck!

Laurie

Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

laurief should know about hardiness being in zone 3. I live in zone 6 and have never lost one to a bad winter due to the temps. but I have lost them due to a wet winter. These hybrids that I have on my tradelists are halfbreds and 3/4breds. They are tetraploid. These arilbreds were developed and bred by a man named Samuel Norris. Sam with a combined effort from John Holden developed the tetraploid strain of arilbreds. Mr. Norris bred these iris to act like tallbearded iris. Anywhere you can raise the tallbearded you should be able to grow these arils regardless of how much aril is floating around in their genes.

Thank goodness some gardeners are willing to push the so called limits of some plants. Otherwise all our gardens would look the same!

Thumbnail by KYBRED
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

For anyone interested in seeing lots more arilbred photos and learning TONS of stuff about ABs, I submit the following two websites for your edification and enjoyment:

Aril Society International - http://www.arilsociety.org

Sharon McAllister's website (AB hybridizer) - http://smcallister.com/

Laurie

This message was edited Feb 22, 2004 9:34 AM

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here are more photos of Arilbred irises too, carried by Superstition Iris. Be sure to see all four pages!

http://community.webshots.com/album/119353760DQWzqw/0

Year before last I ordered a few of them from Superstition Iris. They all grew and bloomed, and continue to do well. I am fascinated by them and will probably continue to grow them.

Laurie, thanks for the info! I love my daylilies, but iris season will be here first and I love them too! Anything to extend my season...

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wandasflowers,

You're welcome! Iris gardening in my neck of the woods can be challenging, but I've been known to push the envelope and see what I can get away with. After having lost hundreds of TB cultivars and most of the ABs I've tried, I've started to increase my collection of median beardeds and various beardless types.

If you're interested in expanding your iris bloom season, you should consider adding some of each of the median classes (SDB, IB, BB, MTB), as well as the earliest blooming of the beardeds, the MDBs. To lengthen bloom season beyond the TBs (and BBs and MTBs which bloom simultaneously with TBs), add some Siberian and Japanese irises. If you can find some cold-climate rebloomers that'll rebloom in your area, you might even be able to extend bloom right up to first frost!

I haven't grown many ABs successfully so far, but I *think* they tend to bloom just before or with the early TBs (I'm sure KYBRED will correct me if I'm wrong about that). You might look into some of the arilbred medians (aril and median bearded crosses) for ABs that bloom even earlier and have some of that extra median toughness bred into them. I acquired a Sutton AB median intro last year named ULALENA, and I'm very hopeful she'll survive her first winter here. She's a perfectly lovely yellow amoena.

Happy irising,

Laurie

I put in practically every dwarf & intermediate I could find last year plus a bunch of big old heritage types. I have just 4 colors of Siberians now (I think) plus lots of daylilies & other perenials. I'll see if I can get some of thes Avrilbreds to survive too. i don't baby anything--It either lives or not. Gardening by "benign neglect". No weeds, little food & little water--lots of mulch on everything but the irises.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.