grapes

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

Any special tips, advice on grape growing in xeriscape conditions?
One of my last year's two grapevine seedlings is coming back well this year, the other isn't visible. And this year's three different grapevines I've planted in deep large basin, with thin layers of composting straw and dirt alternating at the top and bottom third of each basin, each of these grapevine seedlings in a rock-ringed individual basin about three-five feet apart within the larger basin. Any ideas on what plants would do well with the space in the large basin between the individual grapevine basins? (After spending over two weeks digging that large basin and destoning it, I hate not using the extra space between the individual basins.)

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Hi, tashak!!

I remember the big-small basin sentences you made last time, I am sure you have a very sophisticated soil system developed, but I can't visualise it, most probably because English is a foreign language for me. Grape vines grow in rather dry soil, and do not require much manure. What is delicate, is their vulnerability to many fungal diseases. This keeps the farmers spraying all the time. I suggest you watch them grow for 2 years, then ask some local fellows for advice re. the particular problems you have, as different areas require different species etc.

Anything special, drop me line - perhaps I can help.
Dimitri

The big/small basins are sort of like a dishpan or horse watering trough in the ground, with three cups in it, the vines in the three cups. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for info re rather dry soil, not too much manure, etc. If fungal diseases are likely to be a problem, guess I'd better hand water instead of using the hose!

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

yes. It is better to water the ground only and even better to water in the evening. Some species grow on support and can give a shady pergola on the 2nd floor!! See some similar comments by searching "grapes" in DG

Dimitri

Santa Barbara, CA

Grapes do have deep and extensive root systems. Those grown with drip irrigation generally are bare along the "berms" on which the vines are planted and the "middles" are often planted to a cover crop, particularly one supporting beneficial insects that might help control aphids and leaf hoppers and their eggs.

So in desert areas the vines seem to be dripped frequently enough to avoid wilting, but always deeply. One the fruit is ripening you can cut back a bit on the watering because the leaves would be starting to yellow and get ready to shed.

What ever you co-plant, watch out for powdery mildew which can pop up even in the desert if the humidity stays up during those milder nights.

Marshseed, do you have any cover crop suggestions for grape area?

Santa Barbara, CA

If you can find the local ag extension office, they would have recommendations best for your climate and soil. Your best bet would be a grass mixed with subclovers, both of which would self seed some. Don't pick plants with deep root systems our they will steal from the grapes. So big grasses or crotolaria or sesbania would be too vigorous.

You might try zipper/Southern peas for shellies to eat. They tolerate heat and some droughtiness.

This message was edited Friday, Aug 17th 1:22 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.