What I found today

Valley Village, CA

Went to the San Diego club show and sale, I found several Pelagoniums that had a caudex, one Faucaria which I believe to be a Hummel's Hybrid, much different than the species, 1 Bromphyllum (spelling) try to find this one in a book, there are only three species, ('Elk's Horns'). 1 Aloe mitriformis with pups. 1 Deuterachrona v. brevifolia nice little clump, Aloe harlana, long white streaks on leaves, and red teeth. 1 new Pelagoniium named P. vinaceum, 1 P. appendiculatum, very fern like leaves and a caudex , 1 P.parvipetalum, with a nice caudex forming.

Tomorrow I will repot all into my own mix, and will sink the caudex of all of them into the soil. This way they can grow larger. I don't know how to describe the Faucaria leaves, they sure are different. I do have this one, this is my backup.

I never have had so much fun spending money, I'll never buy
shoes again, and a few more things I can do without. Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Norma,
Sounds like you had a blast!
They really need to take that show on the road!
We need some Winter relief!

Ric

Valley Village, CA

That's a great idea, I'll go out and rent a motor home. I was so busy buying i didn't even look at the show. The winter shows are very small compared to the ones in the summer.

My clubs only has it in the summer, and it is big. Norma

Valley Village, CA

What I got new today at the Huntington Gardens, Abromeitiella lotteae (Deuterocohnis lotteae) HBG 76184
ISI 2003-8 Clonotype? Forms mossy-looking but spiny mounds to 2' or more across. Flowers unusual "brown-winered" color/Dr.Rauh.

If you have a good imagination it may look like a Hawortha clump when young. They are exceptionally hard to start.

Norma

Northern California, CA

Here's the Huntington image:
http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/ISI2003/isi/2003-08.html

Valley Village, CA

I only found one of my own Crassula hybrids, named Ethelyn, she is my favorite of the batch of 12 seedlings. She is a delicate plant, not clunky, with pale pink flowers that sits right up on top of the rosette. The flower size is the size of a dime. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Happenstance, I couldn't have done it without you. This is why I think this forum is the best. My boss took the picture.

The rosettes are not that big however. They are tiny and cluster, and will grow and cover a rock/ pot/ you if you stand there long enough. Mine are forming flowers now. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Happenstance, I have that plant on the Huntington Page, and John Trager is my boss, he took the picture. I also know Betty Gay who is still alive and attends our meetings, she started the club which I belong. She is a charter member. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Hi group,
I finally found a new bearded Kalanchoe for just a $1.00 I couldn't pass it up for that kind of money, this is an replacement plant. I'll grow this one differently, in the ground and not in a pot this time. There will be more Kalanchoe introduced by the Huntington Introduction Program in the next few years. Watch for them.
I may have one or two of the new Kalanchoe trysiflora the species with the golden yellow flowers that are really sweet scented. It sure doesn't grow upright. This is really not a new species, just a correctly identified, and certified species.
Crasulady2

Valley Village, CA

Went to my favorite nursery last week end and found a treasue. A nice Aloe plant about 3-4 feet tall, with many branches and heads, it had a label and I saw it was from my friend SL 84-600 No name other than that. I took it to the Huntington Gardens, and my boss John Trager has all of Seymour Lindens black record books, and lo and behold their it was Aloe veseyi (very rare) collected in 1984 when it was allowed. Ex: Ewanrigg Nat. Park Aloe Garden. Coll. anon. s.n. N. Zambia: Kalambo Falls. This cutting was a gift to me from Rogers Weld, a great plantman. No degree, he just collects and grows great plants, very understated. Crasulady

Valley Village, CA

I also found my orginial Kalchance (bearded one) 'Fang'? it fell behind a bush. It was just growing fine, out of soil, clinging to life. So now I'll have my old friend, I give it a new pot to live in, it must have fallen off the wall shelf I had it on.
Crasulady2

Valley Village, CA

I found to today Aloe ciliata, it does justice to it's name. I also found my old friend Aloe tenior, this one however will have red flowers not yellow, which is the usual color. As I clean up and repot I am finding a lot of my old friends. I have finished 7 flats of haworthia only 5 more to go, and those I will finish up this weekend. I noticed that several are missing, so now I must replace them, I'm looking for H.
'Aligator Pear', and H. 'Alligator Rock' , these are not the same hybrids. Crasulady2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.